Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Why do some some Southern Europeans look Germanic/Scandinavian rather than Mediterranean ?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I know there are people who seldom travel far from home, but this is the first time I've encountered anyone who's never even HEARD of "travel".

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

More mayonnaise in their DNA. Mediterranians are arabs not white. 

• 1 month ago

Because the traits you associate with Scandinavians, such as light eyes and hair, aren't exclusive to any population. They also occur among North Africans and West Asians.

The mutations associated to these traits are tens of thousands of years old. That's time enough for them to spread around the globe.

• 1 month ago

Italy was ruled by the Lombards, a Germanic tribe in the early middle ages, and northern Italy was settled by Celts in early Roman times. There are pockets of German-speaking people in northern Italy and it's not known for sure if they're Lombard descendants or later migrants from Germany.

Spain was ruled by the Goths, another Germanic tribe, for some centuries before the Moorish invasion, so there's that component in their genetics.

Sicily was ruled by the Norman (Viking descendants from Normandy in France, same group that conquered England in 1066). Whether they had much of a genetic impact on the population there is unknown to me. OK, yes, they did have a genetic impact:

"The Norman Kingdom of Sicily was created in 1130, with Palermo as its capital, and would last until the 18th century. Nowadays, it is in north-west Sicily, around Trapani, Palermo and Agrigento that Norman Y-DNA is the most common, with 15-20% of the lineages belonging to haplogroup I."

If you've read the Iliad, you know that the early Greeks were physically similar to northern peoples, with blue eyes and blond or red hair. That undoubtedly pops up occasionally still.

Then there's the fact that Europeans have for centuries moved here and there for reasons of trade, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You are likely mistaking pinkskin tourists and expats for local oliveskins..

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

For the simple reason that all Europeans are colorfully mixed. No one's "pure" anything.  Europeans roamed and migrated all over the continent. Germanic tribes were invading Italy, for example, and the Romans were everywhere.  Arabs lived in Europe; the Vikings marauded here and there; the ancient Etruscans were probably originally from Central Asia.

There are plenty of dark-haired, dark-eyed people in central and northern Europe. You didn't imagine all Germans and Austrians were blonde, did you?

Look at Hitler.

• Magui
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Nope. Blonde and blue eyed people around the Mediterranean are just as Mediterranean as the rest of the other oliveskins.

Oh... Germanic invasions? And Viking raids? I don't really think so. It's very diluted...

Source(s): @BBagwinds: "the early Greeks were physically similar to northern peoples, with blue eyes and blond or red hair" Wtf! No, they were not. Don't you come here with stupid Nordicist theories.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.