Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

If all of my income is from investment profits (long-term stocks) & not W-2 or 1099. How will my income tax calculated by IRS?

For example, a $100k AGI will result in 24% vs 15% income tax rate?

Update:

I meant 1099-NEC income, sorry!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Long-term capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income.   Long-term capital gains tax rates are 0% (up to 40k), 15% (40k to 441k) or 20% (more than 441k).   That is for a single person.

Not sure why you think your broker won't issue you a 1099 for your stock sales.   Well, I guess that would be true if you were withdrawing from a retirement account, but then we wouldn't be discussing capital gains tax.

Type "capital gains calculator" into your favorite web browser, enter your filing status and let it do the math for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.