Anonymous

Training a co-worker who doesn’t get the job?

Training a co-worker who doesn’t get it

I have a co-worker I have been training for about 5 months. She doesn’t get the job and constantly makes mistakes even after I gave her a list of instructions on how to do everything. She just has to type letters and proof them. She constantly misses a step and has typos. Her job is supposed to make my job easier but it’s making it more frustrating and time consuming. After getting to a point of frustration I told upper management it isn’t working and they told me maybe I’m teaching her wrong. I told them she has no attention to detail and makes careless mistakes. They keep making excuses for her saying she is young and this is her first office job. She is 28 and older than me. When I was hired they said they needed an inquisitive and focused person with extreme attention to detail. She also constantly comes up to me at work to small talk and is just not serious about this job. Why are they holding me at a different standard then her. I told them she is not the right fit but they want me to continue teaching her. I feel my thoughts don’t matter and I don’t know what to do next. Why do we have to coddle someone that doesn’t have the skills and put me through more frustration. What should I do?

What about her? Does she think she's doing great? Does the fact she keeps making mistakes bothers her at all? Maybe you shall talk to her and ask how comfortable she feels, whether she thinks she manages tasks properly and cope with her duties. Maybe after that conversation, she'll understand that this position isn't for her, so she'll quit? Try it. In case, she says she's doing great and handle all tasks perfectly, you could point out some of her recent mistakes to show her that she's mistaken. Just don't be too pushy ))

• ?

Every word processing program has spell and grammar check.  It's not rocket science.  Templates can also be designed.  Make her re-do the same work over and over until it's perfect.  She'll either learn or begin to hate the job and quit.  Are you sure she isn't related to someone in the company?

• Paul

Her job performance reflects directly on you.

Giving someone a "list of instructions" and expecting them to automatically understand how you want the job done is deficient management. It's great if you have a manual giving the step-by-step, but you need to monitor, communicate, and give feedback on a continuing basis.

You didn't say you've had great success with training a bunch of people in the past, and I bet you don't.

Instead of being the goose that laid the golden egg, I'd rather be the goose that could teach other geese how to lay golden eggs. If you can figure it out, you'll be incredibly valuable to your company. Not happening right now.

Just remember if you can't train someone to do a job, that says more about you as a trainer than it does about the person who isn't improving.

They are not training her.  They are studying you to see if you are ready to move up.

So they ask you to train her so they can see how you approach it.  Her job is to be as dense as possible and try to get you frustrated.

Keep working with her and show a lot of patience.

ALSO look for another job that pays the same or better.

If you find a better job you can resign ...after all you've been training this person to work.  If they do not want her they will have to pay you more.  If they do not pay you more, you have another job and they7 have the 'not quite ready to type professional letters' person.

• CB

Probably some corporate upper echelon's relative or hire recommendation. 

You can't teach attention to detail, just let her screw up until someone decides they have had enough - make sure to differentiate your work from hers and put distance between you and her. 

Training is one thing mollycoddling should not be in your job description.  Just don't toss her under the bus - let her step in front of it in case my nepotism theory is correct.

If they are paying you to coddle her, you will need to keep doing that or find a new job.  You can certainly ask her not to disturb you.  Show her how to check her work.  If she is dyslexic she may find visual checks difficult so show her how to use a spell checker.  Don't assume she is a shirker.

Maybe you should stop incessantly posting fake "What should I do" stories every day.