Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Antilock brakes go to floor?

I had to make a couple of hard stops lately, once on dry pavement and once where I crossed a small patch of ice.  Both times the brake pedal went almost to the floor.  The brakes have seemed fine before and since.  Is this normal on a car with anti-lock brakes?  The fluid level and color, pads and rotors, etc. are all in good shape.  Thanks.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You did NOT list the YEAR and MODEL and MIleaage of this thing! ALL BRAKE FLUIDS decompose after abut THREE years o fuse, turn BROWN and become LIQUID SANDPAPER that eats things up! It is HIGHLY CORROSIVE and if it is OLD will make SEALS SHRIVEL UP!>>>the ANSWER is to go to the DEALERSHIP and have the OLD FLUID FLUSHED OUT and NEW fluid FLUSHED IN! This is a WARNING sign for you! The BRAKE FLUID must be CLEAR or URINE YELLOW to be ANY GOOD! Do NOT risk the pricey ABS pump with OLD failing acidic FLUID! Get it CHANGED every 3 years like the MANUAL should tell you to DO! 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Sounds like the Master Cylinder, Felix!

• 1 month ago

If the brake pedal gets hard and is higher when the motor is shut off it should be ok. If the brake pedal still fades to the floor the master cylinder could be going bad.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Check for leaks, fix leak and bleed the brakes.  No leaks, master cylinder is likely shot.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Nope, mechanic time. A slave cylinder most likely in 1 wheel is leaking out brake fluid. It is worn out.

Tell mechanic your story. So he knows what to do next(which is checks it) then pulls wheels off until he finds the slave & replaces it with new.  Then he loads the system and bleeds the brakes and you are done.

• 1 month ago

Not normal.  When my anti-lock brakes function, I can feel the pedal jerk up and down a bit and there is noise.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.