when waitresses are expecting a 10 dollar tip, what should you do?

Seldom I go to Red Lobster around where I live, and I get nothing but a glass of tea and still the waitresses expect me to give them a 10 dollar tip.

If I tip them appropriately they get angry and mad.

What should I do?

My sister said she used to work at this red lobster and they would expect a 10 dollar tip and cuss you out in the kitchen to each other because you didn't give them a hefty tip.

Favorite Answer

I worked as a server for 20 years and I can not recall ONCE when a person drinking a cup of tea or coffee or soda was expected to leave a big tip UNLESS they were repeatedly taking up a larger table for well over a hour while reading or writing during the busy time of the day. Basically renting a spot as cheap as they could. And, for that, Denny's would work just fine. Or Starbucks or your local coffee shop. Even at that, they'd not care much unless you were doing it regularly! So, regularly, costing them $10-20 right out of their pocket several times a week. But once? Your sister has worked with really rude gals. Most decent restaurants have enough business that one table once in a while with one person not really needing anything can be a tiny break. But a regular who is thoughtless to the business and the employees? SELDOM is the operating word. Not regularly. 

• 1 week ago

Tips are always optional, by definition. Anyone "adding a tip" to the bill has committed criminal fraud. Tip, don't tip: they have absolutely no right to "expect" any tip whatsoever.

They should EXPECT nothing and just HOPE that the customer will be generous.  I hate the tipping system, all employees should be paid fair wages and not have to rely on tips.  I'd like to see the tipping system scrapped COMPLETELY.

• ?

In some American states, the tip is being added to the bill. So you might not have this worry. I think it's weird to tip just for a glass of tea, but why don't you go somewhere like Starbucks where they aren't tipped workers?

That tip insanity should be eliminated. In Europe, tipping was eliminated, it was added to the bill, however, the servers still expected a tip on top of the included 15% tip in the bill. 

Expecting?  Since when is a tip expected?  I mean I leave a gracious tip when I dine in, but expectations is out of my vocabulary. I leave a tip when my service has been completed.  Depending on the quality of service I would leave a larger amount.  I have been a waitress before in my days.. and I do understand that the tip is a large chunk of your pay.. but I never "expected" a specific amount.  I was happy with what I got and worked hard to get it.

Well apparently you do go fairly often, and I can't figure out why you would keep going there for only a glass of tea.  That's just bizarre.  People there work hard and rely on tips from customers who order meals, and not people who are there just to hang around.  Don't go there anymore unless you get a meal.

I actually worked at Red Lobster to pay for college tuition one summer.  NEVER did anyone come in and order a glass of tea.  (That is in the same category as the other things you've posted.)  We expected a 20 percent tip.  It's that simple.

A ten dollar tip for a cup of tea should include a bl0w job under the table.

I doubt that. 

Waitresses are not going to expect a $10 tip for a glass of tea. 

Why would you sit there with just a glass of tea.  Get it Mac D for 99 cents