Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 2 months ago

What is Billy Joel's best song?

Favorite Answer

well,  I assume you mean LYRICS wise, since you asked this in LYRICS. 

Lyrically,  I think the Ballad of Billy the Kid, was excellent.  Clearly his earlier work,  was  about story telling,   Captain Jack,  Piano Man,  Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, Miami 2017,  The Entertainer, ...... telling great stories, in song form. 

His later top 40 stuff,  was more about hooks, and selling records.....

but Lyrically,  it must have been hell trying to put together  "We Didn't Start the Fire".....by using real headlines, and trying to make them fit into a song.....and making it work. 

In truth, I can't decide,.... so many of his songs, had great lyrics......but I guess one of my favorites   is The Ballad of Billy The Kid. 

Scenes from an Italian restaurant