Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

New House Tax Question?

My wife (fiancée at the time) bought a house together last year. I already owned a condo prior to buying the house (bringing my total number of houses up to 2 in 2020). I so far have only paid the down payment on the house and she has paid all the mortgage payments thus far. Do  I need to include anything for that down payment on my taxes this year or should I let her claim it all?

• ?

Down payment isn't something you can claim on taxes anyway.  You guys should probably be filing jointly.

• Eva

Only the interest on the mortgage and property taxes are deductible. Your down payment does not go on a tax return.  If you married last year, you're filing a joint return anyway so it's a moot point.  If you were not married last year, she claims all the interest though with the higher standard deduction it may not make any difference.

Down payments are never taxable.  If your wife sold investments to fund the down payment, she may have capital gains tax to pay.