Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

How can a transaction fail 10 minutes after your bankcard has be approved?

I was in a fast food place today, don't want to mention the name.  A guy sat down not to far from me with his meal and started eating when the manager came out and took the meal away.  He informed the guy that his transaction failed and his bankcard had been declined.  The manager asked if he had another way to pay and they guy told him he didn't, then the manager said he was sorry but he was going to have to take his meal.  The place was crowded, so I'm not sure how they located the correct person, but it is what it is.  

It had me curious how it's possible that the card was accepted at the time he ordered but then 5 to 10 minutes later the transaction failed.  This was a place where you order at the counter, swipe your card and then they give you your food.   Shouldn't the card have declined at the time he placed his order not 10 minutes later? 

Just so you can slam me for being a bad person, I stopped the manager, gave him some money and told him to get the guy something to eat.  Not really the smartest thing I ever did, but it bothered me that the manager would rather dump the meal in the garbage then let someone who was down on their luck eat it.  

How humiliating for the diner and how very nice of you to do that. It wasn't a "not smart thing" to do. The place was crowded, and other people witnessed how to handle a situation graciously. 

I don't understand why the restaurant doesn't have envelopes or cards ready with their Venmo or Apple Pay info and discreetly ask the person to pay later. Guess customer retention is not high on the restaurant's list. 

There are a number of reasons why this could happen.  Perhaps the transaction machine was slow that day.   Maybe someone new took his order and didn't wait for confirmation.   I find it hard to believe his meal was taken away since they'll have to throw it away.

• ?

Thank you for being a decent person

i think if the transaction was going to fail it shouldve done it from the beginning

• Justin

Small transactions have immediate 'approval pending' that is not the same as a decline. However, this turns into a decline after funds cannot be verified, which can take several minutes. Generally, bad transactions like this will actually come out of the manager's pay, so they tend to be quite vigilant about EVERYONE who uses plastic to pay. 

Paying for the meal was classy. I have done it myself, but mostly to stop the stupid little dramas from unfolding, especially over just a few dollars. The lack of indigestion is worth it.