Can anyone identify this type of tree?

The trunk is 5ft in diameter and I'm guessing it stands about 50ft tall.  Its dying and needs to come down

Actually, I would contact a saw-mill. They may be delighted to cut the tree down for it's value in lumber. Win-win for you both.

• kswck2

Not from a picture, take in winter, at a distance. 

• fuzzy

That is one big weed you have there, looks suspiciously like a damn Elm

Looks like the 1000s of junk trees we have in Salt Lake City, but ours are not OAK, I have no clue of the name, they just produce tons of broken limbs when the wind picks up.  And yes, they all need to come down.  What's your real question?  Either pay a ton of money, or rent a 60' BOOM LIFT, AND BUY a good chain saw.  Be careful, start at the top, cutting sections of limbs you can control.  DO NOT cut at the base and expect to bring it down in one cut---death will ensue.

Oak tree.....................

Maple or oak. ..............

What difference does it make if its coming down anyway.

I am guessing a silver maple. With no leaves and the trunk being in bad lighting it’s anyone’s guess 

• Mercy

Sorry, unless I can see a leaf I can't tell.