Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Frankie asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How come dogs dont like the mail man?

Update:

I agree, same with cat owners, they don't do anything about their nasty behaviour because they think it's cute. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

well old days happens to dogs chasing after mail man  still these days they are keep chasing off the poor mail carriers. that why i place a screen door in case the mail carrier comes . i dont have a front yard fence but if you have problem with your dogs not to attacked or chase the mail carriers. it better to keep the dogs outside in the back yard during the day. cats some times doesnt attack if the person was untreated the dogs and cats . so better next time you see your mail man or mail woman leave them a note so next time day they can bring dogs and cats treat with them before they walk up to the drive way or into the property . then the dogs and cats will be happy and or ignored the mail carriers. for having a deliever's orders make sure you keep the dogs and cats in your bedrooms or in the back yard 

• Rita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

1. Trespassing Territory. For starters, from a dog's perspective, mailmen, pizza guys and plumbers are all people trespassing property. Many dogs, especially certain breeds have a predisposition for passively alert barking or engaging in more actively protecting territory.

• 1 month ago

Mail man is an intruder in the dogs visual territory.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your dog is guarding territory, the mailman arrives posts a letter which the dog smells 'stranger' dog barks, mailman leaves, so dog thinks his barking get the right response, which is to warn the mailman to leave and so it continues................

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Its nothing to do with the dog `not liking` the mailman.

Its all down to a dog defending its territory from someone who approaches and then when the dog barks at them, retreats.

This reinforces the dogs ability to send an invader packing, so it becomes a set pattern and the dog will then feel in charge and often wait for the mailman to come, so it can `see him off`.

Its not only the mailman with many dogs, its any person who is delivering something.

Some intelligent dogs, realise the mailman is a regular visitor and is not a threat and will give up doing all the frantic barking and just sit and watch calmly. 

Its the dog that just sits and  `looks` that is the one to watch, as its hard to predict what they `MIGHT` do next, and it can be very disconcerting.

Source(s): GSD owner for 58 years. UK.
  • 1 month ago

I look on this as the mail man being somebody who comes, your dog barks etc., and the man leaves.   In the eyes of a dog - that's a win.

We had one who'd spend time getting to know my then two but he was an exception.

• I read somewhere this theory, and I agree wholeheartedly with it-

People according to dogs are either welcome guests who enter the house or intruders who aren’t allowed inside. The mailman falls in the ambiguous category of being an intruder who comes inside for a moment. It’s probably confusing for the dog who sees the person as a threat.

• 1 month ago

Because a great amount of dogs  see them as intruders. Put simply.

Attachment image
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

the mail man is coming onto their territory.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

it has nothing to do with someone's profession.

Dogs will attack anyone from babies to their owner to blind people.

Doger lovers pretty much say you have to train the stupid out of a dog so they don't behave like dogs.

We live in a sick dog culture where we have to ignore the dangers of dogs because they are dogs.

They locked down the world for something that doesn't exist while dogs get to maul every Tom Dik and Harry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.