Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Was it right for Dr. Seuss’ publisher to ban the publishing of 6 different books because of racist images?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Hitler did the same thing to Jewish authors writings and images. So people think it’s ok that this happens in America but don’t want to admit they respect Hitler. These same people think it’s ok to fire people for their speech and political beliefs. Same as Hitler. But they won’t tell you that. They’ll just justify it because they’re morons. 

• 1 month ago

I think it was right. The decision was not made by the publisher but by the rights holders, who have a brand to protect. They have no obligation to continue to publish something that has not withstood the test of time and which also damages brand.

This isn't new or unusual. US-made cartoons from Warner Brothers, Looney Toons, and Merrie Melodies have been withdrawn for similar issues, including racism, antisemitism, and mockery of Japanese.

There are hundreds of thousands of copies of those books out there, and no attempt is being made to remove them. They've just decided not to add more copies.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

To Anon. We must remember history. We must study history. We must not enshrine history and we must not perpetuate the wrong done in the past.

The contested books were written for small children who are learning about the world. Children are impressionable information mavens. They take in and absorb everything, including prejudices. They will think, "If someone does not look like me, and the book says they look silly or bad, then they must be silly or bad and I must not be polite to them.  Why must I not like them? Because they are not like me, and children in the books who look like me laugh at them or fight them."

So, in order to live together peaceably today and in the future, we should put books written in the past that have been hurtful into the part of the library where the past and its propaganda and prejudices are studied.  Dr. Seuss drew advertising cartoons (I should say Mr  Geisel here, since the cartoons were not for children.) And during World War Two he drew cartoons for war propaganda. Caricatures of Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito, and their countrymen, that were insulting. War propaganda is supposed to make those who are exposed to it hate the enemy by the use of ugliness and appealing to prejudices.  The Nazis used the same sort of cartoons to make Jews seem inhuman and evil - in children's books too.  Perhaps his work conditioned him to see stereotypes as the right and proper way to communicate the message. Perhaps he did not entirely renounce his own prejudices, or see them as prejudices, until long after the war ended. One does not notice or want to tear out what is ingrained in ones self. And what he drew in 1937 he might not have drawn in 1987.

• Dv8s
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's not right, and it's not American, our forefathers fought for us to have freedom.  If certain people have a problem, or can't be trusted with freedom, they shouldn't be living here.   Don't publish any more Mark Twain books either, when does it end? oh and Aunt Jemima syrup, best get that off the shelf. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

How does one decide what is and is not a racist image? Should we revise history or remember it?

• 1 month ago

It bit into their profit margins,  they didn't make the decision lightly OR alone, they discussed it with the executor of Seuss's estate.  Decisions aren't made in a vacuum. 

• 1 month ago

they did not Ban them but will no longer Publish them-- fact

https://www.bing.com/search?q=dr%20seuss%20books%2...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.