Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Do you think it's rude to say French is an easier language to learn than English?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • P.L.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most languages have set rules to them but English does not and that makes it very difficult for other people to learn. 

I find English very easy but that's because I was born in England where (at one time) virtually everyone spoke English and I was taught in English from my birth.

Try learning to speak Welsh !!

• 1 month ago

Only is speaking to an English speaker LOL.

Actually, I find that in bilingual Spanish/English families, young children prefer English because it is easier.  But once you are at a reading age, Spanish becomes easier, because it is more phonetic.  English has shorter words to speak - more on and two syllable words.  But the spelling is weird.  

So I imagine the difference between French and English is similar.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, why would I think that?  You're entitled to you opinion.

• 1 month ago

It has nothing to do with being rude.

For me English was much easier than French.

For an Italian or Spanyard French might be easier,

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It may or may not be TRUE for different people, but I fail to see how saying it could be "rude".

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I thought people only made those absurd claims about Spanish ..I didn't know there were also people who considered French "easier" than English .

I am a native Spanish speaker ..as you might know Spanish and French are both romance languages so they share many similarities nonetheless I find French language very challenging ..Now, if you are a native English speaker I would have a hard time understanding why you think that French is easier English..

• Zirp
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

What I think is irrelevant.

No, it is not rude. For a lot of people, it is true.

French does not have spelling contests for native speakers

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

_ ◘ @ Alphonse: In French too, a same word can mean different things, like the example you gave us on here: a tree branch or a branch of a bank.

Otherwise as a French person, I don't find English hard to learn. And definitively no, it is not rude to say French is an easier language to learn than English. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

As rude as making unfounded cultural assertions or even aspersions is. The difficulty of a language to learn is wholly based on one's native language and any additional languages one knows. Also, when discussing two languages in relation to each other, like French to English or English to French, the difficulty is exactly the same as the linguistic distance is exactly the same.

Source(s): BA in languages and linguistics
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, it's a fact, English is harder because the same word can mean different things, like a tree branch or a branch of a bank.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.