Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 2 months ago

In China are you supposed to avoid eye contact with someone of greatness like a sumo wrestler or a president?

The reason i ask is because i was watching the movie Shanghai Noon with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. And in the movie when the princess passes thru town everyone bows thier head and avoids eye contact out of respect. 

Now i know your answer might be "its just a movie"...but i was still curious if that kind of stuff did happen back then, and if it kind of happens till this day in some kind of form.

Update:

Sorry i meant to say "are you supposed to bow your head and make eye contact when in the precense of someone of greatness like a sumo wrestler or a president?"

Update 2:

Bao Long, that was very helpful information thank you. But is there  some kind of tradition today that is kind of similiar?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I have never heard of that in China. However, in Japan, it is customary for everyone to look down when greeting. In Thailand, when the King went down the river in his boat, the people in high rise apartments had to go down to the ground floor because no one could be higher than the king. It is still definitely true in Thailand, at least for the King.

I think you need to do some reading about the difference between Japan and China. 

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Sumo wrestlers are from Japan.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, it's a fantasy of Qing dynasty from an American Of course it's not accurate. 

There's no sumo wrestler in China and people want to shake hand and greet a president.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.