Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

R asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Can my cat get diabetes? All he eats is dry food (which the body converts to sugar)?

All i see in the ingredients is stuff like "corn starch, corn syrup" etcetera. Basically all the stuff gives humans diabetes.

Update:

Jimmy C: All you did was scold and harrass me, but you failed to answer the question which was "can my cat get diabetes or sick". So in general you were no help.

Update 2:

Good answer thank you Maxi

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Nobody can tell you that you can prevent your cat from getting diabetes with diet because those studies haven’t been done. There are some commonly held beliefs, based on a handful of clinical studies, that support the use of low-carbohydrate diets in helping diabetic cats control their blood sugar better. Obesity is a risk factor. But there also are some breeds of cats that get diabetes more than others do, so that suggests there may be a genetic component involved as well.

If you think about what a cat’s natural diet would be, they’re carnivores. So the diet they would eat, if they were running around outside eating the animals that they prey upon, would be a very high-protein, very low-carbohydrate diet. So the argument is, that is what they have evolved to eat and that is healthier for them. So why do we have dry food for cats ? Because it’s more convenient for people. Some people just don’t like dealing with canned food. And there are a gazillion cats that eat dry food and don’t get diabetes. One thing cats who are fed dry food is they get more UTIs, they do not get enough water in their diet and dry food is full of junk ingredients that is only in them so they are cheap to manufacture and have zero value to any cat...... "corn starch, corn syrup" yes like that neither should be in cat food

• jean
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

cats are carnivores so I would be feeding him some raw meat from the butcher plus a better quality dry food.Some canned cat fish food would be good too.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Do not buy dry cat food. It rots the kitty's teeth & gums. Either get a premium wet kitty food, or give it fresh, cooked meat. Kitties are carnivores.

• Rita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

observed that cats eating a combination of dry and wet food are at higher risk compared to cats fed only dry or only wet food [111]. More recently, dry food feeding has been associated with increased risk of diabetes mellitus in normal-weight cats, while diet type was not found to be a risk factor in obese cats [110]

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, diabetes is pretty common in cats.

Diabetes is caused by a variety of factors one of the most important being obesity.   There may also be a genetic component as well.

• 2 months ago

Not unless he is overweight. Have been feeding my cat for years on dry food and she is not diabetic.  Cats metabolism is different from ours is some ways.

• 2 months ago

So buy him some decent food. Give him cooked chicken, no bones though because bones are bad for them. Give him wet cat food as well, the stuff in tins. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.