Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Will I stop shaking?

Okay, so I'm a security guard.  I was scared recently.  My legs were shaking (that sometimes happens when you get scared).  I 

am inexperienced (new to the job).  

My colleague who has more experience than me says that when he was a begginer, his heart was racing whenever he approached people sleeping on the property.  His heart no longer races whenever he asks people to leave the property (the first time he did it, his heart was racing).

If my colleage's heart stopped racing when he gained experience and time, will my legs stop shaking when I have more experience/time?

• snafu

That’s adrenaline.  Preparing your body for fight or flight.  An evolutionary survival response. I expect through experience your body will learn to manage itself appropriately. 

Yes you will quit shaking with more time on the job.  If you have not had any training for this type of job, it can be scary at moments.  Your employer may get you some training if you ask for it.  I loved doing security work, it was an easy job.  Boring but it is a good job.

Soldiers say that they are able to calm down immediately by slowing their breathing. A Marine who was seriously wounded in combat told this to a psychologist at Stanford University who was studying the relationship between breathing and emotion. Calming down in a dangerous situation is important because you want the presence of mind to act correctly. This is valuable in a lot of things, like driving on an icy road. 

This tells you about a variety of things that help with stress, including slow breathing in an emergency and awareness of your breathing in daily life, which keeps your blood pressure down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

• OTTO

Fear focuses attention. It is useful. Shaking legs are not useful. Remind yourself to breathe. And be sure you have been properly trained to contend with potential violence.

First off, stop beating yourself up for being afraid. Fear is a normal, physiological response to any threatening situation. In fact, you'd be a fool to NOT feel fear. The real issue is being able to hold it together and do the job despite that instinctive fear. So unless you peed yourself & ran away screaming like a toddler, you're good. You'll certainly become less affected as you gain experience, but don't dismiss those primeval instincts as something unmanly or shameful. That instinct for self-preservation is an intelligent, beneficial reaction.

• Kenny

Probably .                                          .