Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do you think making contact with aliens is inevitable as technology gets better and better?

I think that day is inevitable and I think it will happen a lot sooner than what you might think.  I wonder what would be the next step after making contact.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I can't say it's inevitable... I would say the odds are *better*, as we improve our listening techniques, but... there has to be someone out there - and, they not only have to be technologically advanced as well, but close enough for us to detect them... 

While our ability to detect aliens improves - there simply may not be any aliens for us to detect. 

At this point in time... all we can do is maintain an open mind, and try. 

• 1 month ago

No.  Aliens could be hiding effectively from us or be using technology which means we can't detect any signals they might be sending.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Nope.

Firstly because space aliens don't exist. At least not within contact range and quite likely not at all. Just look at the evidence (or rather lack of evidence that space boogiemen exist).

Secondly even if they do exist they are trillions and trillions of miles away, and can never make the journey here.

Thirdly, even if they do exist, why do you think they would be the least interested in crossing the vast distance just to mingle with a bunch of savage hairless apes. Just because we, at this brief point in time, are obsessed with "contact", doesn't mean anyone else would be.

And what makes you think there is any significant "technology" beyond what we have today? All indications are that most technologies we have peaked by now. Just because there was rapid advancement over the last century does not mean it will continue to advance.

As for what might have happened (if they existed, could make the distance, and had some urge to do so). I suggest they would avoid humans like the plague, and seek out some of the other millions of species that exist here on Earth. Of all the species here, why would they be interested in the one called Homo sapien? You really think the would look like monkeys, just because we do? Lol!

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Due to the slow nature of light crossing the vast distances between stars, there's a low chance, to be honest. We've been transmitting radio waves from Earth for what, 100 years. That means those signals have traveled 100 light-years. There are not very many possibilities in that range.  The same would be for aliens...

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C Clark

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.