Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Why do therapists ask these questions...?

Hi, im sorry im just not educated on this subject. why do therapists ask if your religious/atheist, your sexual orientation, etc? Sometimes they also ask what made you "become" atheist. I mean, in my opinion, I feel like its none of their business. Im sure you can opt out of telling them. I just think its kind of strange. Now obviously, certain situations might make you tell them; for example,, maybe you are talking to them about religious trauma that you suffered in the corrupt church. But other than that, if you have no problems relating to those things, I dont understand why they can get so frustrated or weird about it when you do not answer. Some people say its just so they get to know you better, but im sure there has to be other reasons too. 

Sometimes they can get to the bottom of other things when you answer a question about why you became an atheist.  They probably don't care one way or the other about your non-religious preferences.... it's just that some things we do in life are connected to other things which have happened or which we do.

As far as a sexual preference, i don't see why they'd care and no therapist ever asked me that. Or about religion but i never brought either subject up

You see a therapist to talk about your issues.  The therapist can't help you if you don't tell him everything.

It might be that the therapist has found that a particular approach doesn't work with people who are religious.

The therapist is trying to learn about you as a person. They are trying to get some insight into why you are the way you are. Religion and sexual orientation can have a huge effect on a person’s mental and emotional well-being. 

Depends on the specific therapist? There are many reasons someone is following a certain religion or lacks belief in any religion. Maybe someone is a Christian because he's scared of the afterlife and potentially going to Hell. Maybe someone became an atheist because of an hatred for God or because he think there is too much cruelty in the world for there to be a God. It's a good topic as any to delve into whatever problems someone might be facing, whatever made him what he is. 

Also, the client and therapist might be following different religions or belief systems. It happens that clients don't want to follow advice from a religious person/an atheist. So it's best for the therapist to get a general understanding of the client before starting to ask any more sensitive questions and to know what answers/questions to avoid.

Don't know about sexual orientation, but maybe the therapist is trying to understand if the client is frustrated because of his love life or something, trying to find the root of the problem.As I said it depends on the therapist and the client should have the choice to refuse.