Is this even legal? What are my options? Now what? So depressed trying to stay positive ?

I moved across the country for a job. The company paid my relocation and everything. I have a signed offer letter in hand. I got a phone call today that the person expected to leave the position has decided to stay and they have decided to not move forward with me. They told me I do not have to pay them back for the relocation. I’m not sure what to do!!! I feel like I’m really screwed. Not sure what to do. 

Well, yes, you've been screwed, but you don't have any recourse. They notified you that they had made another decision, they're not asking for their money back and you are now going to have to try to find another job in your new location, or move back to where you were--or do whatever you want. Sorry--there's no other choices here. I understand it's depressing, but they did nothing illegal or unethical, and your moving expenses have already been taken care of. 

• n2mama

Yes, it’s legal, and yes, you’ve been screwed. The signed offer letter is just that, an offer of employment, not a guarantee. You have no way to compel or force them to let you start working. It’s incredibly unprofessional, so maybe you should be glad to have learned that this is how they are before you actually started working for them. At this point your options are to look for another position in your new location or move yourself back. Sorry.

• Maxi

Unless you started and signed a contract it is perfectly legal........... so start looking for/ applying for a new job

Look for a job around the new location. 

Stay where you are and get a job or move.   Your choice.

Yes, it's legal for them to unhire you just like it would be legal for you to quit.

???

• Scott

Just because you don't like the outcome doesn't make it illegal. Of course it's legal, they paid for your relocation. It sucks, but it is what it is. Now go find a job.

Sorry to say it is legal. 

• Judy

Yes it's legal.  All you can do is look for another job.