Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

Scared to get pregnant?

I’m 21 years old and a virgin. However, when I do have my first time I think I’ll be too afraid that I’ll get pregnant. Obviously he’ll wear a condom. Would I still need to take birth control? I haven’t been able to obtain those yet. Unfortunately my school did not teach sex ed and everything there is to know about our bodies, so everything I learn is from online. 

Honestly if you are THAT afraid then you should be on a form of birth control and he should use a condom every time. Chances are much lower that way

I doubt your 21 and asking this question. What sort of school did you even attend ? All schools legally teach sex education it’s the national curriculum. If your going to be engaging in a long term relationship a form of birth control such as the pill or the injection or the coil are better than condoms. But of course if he’s not A virgin be sure he doesn’t share any STDs with you 

• Lili

Condoms are a form of birth control but not the most reliable form. They're really best for protecting you against sexually-transmitted diseases, so he should wear one. Don't have sex with a man who won't, until you are mutually sure you are monogamous and healthy.

However, before you ever have sex (a good couple of months in advance), YOU should go on some form of reliable birth control.  That could be the pill, an implant, Depo-Provera injections, an IUD. Discuss this with a doctor and follow all instructions with care.

If by chance you choose to have sex before you do that, use contraceptive jelly (available in any drugstore without a prescription) while he uses a condom. Use fresh jelly and a fresh condom for each act of intercourse. The jelly and the condom together should provide very reliable protection.

Ortho Gynol is a reputable brand of contraceptive jelly.  You can order it online, too.

Condoms are almost 100% effective when it comes to protection against pregnancy. Of course there’s always a risk of the condom breaking so if you think you’ll be too worried even with a condom, then it’s probably best that you go on birth control for extra protection. There are many different forms of birth control so you should consult with your doctor and see which method is best for you 

You definitely should be on birth control. I will be another layer of protection.

• ?

Stop over thinking. Find credible websites or books when doing your research too. If you want to get on birth control pills do it asap. You need to give sufficient time before it is effective. And also with the shot or iuds. You should also expect your period to be out of whack too. And when it's your first time I highly doubt you'll keep thinking about I don't want to get pregnant because it's going to hurt at first. When you go in to your doctor appointment that would be your prefect time to ask questions and I'm sure they'll give you pamphlets.

Birth control pills stop ovulation.  No ovulation means no egg - which means pregnancy is impossible.

If you forget to take a pill or if you use certain medications, it can impact the effectiveness of the pill.  Because there are a few ways a pill can fail, it is about 99% effective at preventing pregnancy.  READ the information that comes with the pill you are prescribed to understand how it works and what might make it less effective.

Next, make the guy use a condom - always - every time.  No condom - no entry.  A condom is a "barrier" method that keeps the sperm contained.  A condom alone is about 96% effective.

When using a condom and the pill together, the chances of pregnancy are VERY LOW since it is unlikely that both would fail at the same time.

Pulling out is NOT birth control and would not help the other two methods be more effective.  

Being scared to get pregnant means you won't enjoy sex until you find a birth control method that you truly feel comfortable with.  Talk with your doctor about the advantages and risks and what your options would be.  You can pick something like the depo shot or an implant and then you don't need to worry about forgetting a pill.  You still need to know what things might make those less effective, but at least you aren't also risking forgetting to take a pill.  

You're 21... look up Planned Parenthood

• mokrie

Yes you SHOULD be on birth control at least a month and a half BEFORE you have sex as it takes that long to really work in your system. Then also require a condom but those can fail or rip so that's why you should be on birth control. The condom will also help protect you from an STD.