Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 month ago

Half a meter to inches, how many inches is that and how long? If someone was standing half a meter from each other how far apart is that?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Pope
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Speaking of English systems, it is not possible for one person to stand half a meter from each other.

• 1 month ago

Remember 1 inch = 2.54 cm 

Half a metre is 50 cm 

Hence 50 cm / 2.54 cm per inch = 19.68 inches. 

How far apart  is that?? About the distance from the tips of your fingers to your elbow.  The two people would be 'in each others space'. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's exactly 19.685 inches, but a meter is close enough to a yard that I just imagine half a yard, so a yard being 3 feet or 36 inches, half a yard is 18 inches. I do that because I was brought up on the English system, not the metric system, so I can easily conceptualize inches, feet, yards, miles, etc., but millimeters, centimeters, meters, kilometers, etc., not so much.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.