Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

I am scared to work. How do I make it easier?

Today I realized I’m scared of working. I am in my mid twenties and have not had a job. I’ve been terrified of my father cutting me off eventually when I get one, etc. 

I am not a lost cause, but the fact that I haven’t had a job is not helping me

I will graduate from college with a liberal arts degree in a year and a half and am worrying about my parents cutting me off.My freind says a job is easier than college because it’s slower. 

Can someone tell me what it’s like to be independent? The people I see working are not happy. And I’m worried that I won’t qualify for a quality job. Or will get hurt, fired, etc.

Please tell me happy tales of working. I need them. 

I am aware I should surround myself with happy people who are happy in work, and I am trying to be happier.

There’s a lot of things I need to work on.

• kelvin

you want to be happy, stay away from LSD

• L

Think of it (a job) as a chore you're getting paid to do.  Once you get paid...........you'll be all excited and happy.  Continue working and then move out on your own.

Working is like life in general; it has the potential to be hard, stressful, and tiring, while also having many positives that pay off in other ways than just money: It puts more value in your day; when you work through the week, you value every hour you're not working, especially on days off. Whenever I had all the time in the world to do whatever, it would get stagnant, boring, and unappreciated. Work also made me stronger; it gave me confidence in my abilities, my character, and even though I usually try not to over-do or get carried away mixing social life with work life (can be a terrible mix if done carelessly imo), I've gained networks of friends from just a single person I befriended at work and I don't even know where that person is or talk to him anymore, sometimes I think "If I hadn't worked there, I wouldn't have met this person, who led me where I met this other person (currently a good friend of mine), who has a wild and fun social life, which led me to a whole new branch of people and events..." - After moving to a new state to be lonely and bored all the time, I was thankful for that, and work led me to that.

The thought of work scared me too. I had major anxiety when it came to working with groups of people and bosses. What I've learned is more times than not, it's mostly in your head. Instead of stewing on your worries, just get motivated and focused. I used to think of turning my mind into "robot mode", because I sold myself as a "product" to get something accomplished, not worry or stress. What's the worse that could happen? Fired? Get another job, it's America, there are many ways to get money and/or work. Don't like the job you had? My answer remains the same. I see immigrants from different countries, places where far less was available for them, then see them succeed greatly, moving up, buying houses, cars...etc. Makes you think "How hard do I really have it? What troubles/hardships have they seen?"

Hope I helped. When the day comes where you've impressed your peers, boss(es), and yourself, building a reputation... you start to carry yourself in a different way. 

Good luck. Now get out there, make yourself some money and gain some self-worth while doing it.

grow some balls