Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Why isn’t the broth thickening and gelling?

When making a broth from chicken bones in a thermal cooker I cook it in the pot on the stove for 20 then put it away in the case for the day. After taking it out it’s oily. After putting it in the fridge it’s watery and has some flavour. Am I doing it right? If not what am I’m doing wrong? Please tell me

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You are not cooking it long enough. Bring the bones and the aromatics (onion, garlic celery carrot ginger etc) to a rolling boil then turn down to a simmer. Reduce by half. Skim foam and fat off while cooking. Let it cool a bit then strain it and chill it. It should be gelled just fine. You need to start with a lot of water and give it a long cooking time to reduce in order to dissolve the gelatin producing parts of the bones and connective tissues. If you can, let it reduce by 2/3s to give a more concentrated flavor and texture to the stock.

• 1 month ago

The parts that have the most collagen are

Wing, the tips in particular.

legs, the feet have most. 

If you use bones the soft keel bone and the knobby parts of the thighs, legs. 

the oil you are getting on the top is fat rendered from the skin and other parts.  (great if you skim it off and use it for cooking the veggies in when you make the soup rather than oil or butter)

You need to cook the chicken bones and parts down for a while before the collagen begins to dissolve. 20 minutes may not be long enough. the thermal cooker is probably not maintaining a high enough temperature to dissolve the collagen. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

To make a chicken stock gel, use the 'garbage parts' of the chicken, like the feet. 

But stock will no become completely gelatinous, some additive must be applied. Chicken stock, once refrigerated will form fat on top that is skimmed off. That fat can be used to make a roux to thicken the stock. 

• 1 month ago

According to Sally Fallon, author of "Nourishing Traditions", "Many battery-raised [i.e., not free-range] chickens will not produce stock that gels."  The best way to get stock to gel is to add chicken feet, but of course most supermarkets don't carry them.  You can get them online though.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.