Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Question about water, dehydration, and weight loss?

This is going to be a really dumb question so I'm sorry but I'm confused because I hear people saying that you lose 'water weight' when you're dehydrated which makes me think that drinking less water throughout the day will help you lose weight but then I hear how you're supposed to drink 8-10+ glasses per day for weight loss! I know it's important to be hydrated but if being dehydrated makes you lose weight, why are you encouraged to drink so much water? Why not just reduce your water intake and lose weight that way?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

there are 2 myths mentioned in your question.. losing weight by losing water; and drinking 8-10 glasses of water to lose weight.. those two are complete non-sense.. the best way to lose weight is by controlling your diet (mainly no or less sugar) and by means of regular exercise - there are no shortcuts around those two..

losing weight by losing water, is like trying to make your car lighter by asking the driver to step out from the car - it just does not make sense!!.. or trying to make a car lighter by taking out its engine.. if you tried to drink less and less, you will start to feel unwell, tired,  grumpy and have headaches, fainting spells and issues in concentration.. it does not work!!drinking enough water and keeping hydrated (avoiding dehydration) is closer to the answer; because water does improve the metabolism (burning calories) HOWEVER, too much water is also harmful to the human body and there are few cases of people dying from heart attack after drinking too much water or drinking too much water during a race or a long exercise.. 

the answer that you are looking for is very simple.. drink when you are thirsty and stop drinking if you are not.. it is that simple!!.. thirst is a good indicator when you need to drink, and our body already optimized to regulate itself by getting-rid of excess water in urine; but with the exception of 2 events: if you are known to have a kidney disease/disorder, and if you are an athlete drinking water while doing some strenuous exercises running a marathon, swimming for long distances or cycling for a long distances.. i am sure that you are familiar of the scene on television of people on the side of the road handing-out cups of water to runners in a marathon or to professional cyclists, and most of those runners or cyclist would dump the drink over their head and body instead of drinking -- drinking water in mid race could make them heavier and may endanger their lives by drinking too much..

the only time that a healthy person should concern him/herself with water weight is in long term exercises like marathon, long distance cycling and long distance swimming.. athletes often warned about drinking too much water during a race or during a sport event because when you are exercising, the adrenaline and other energy-boosting hormones would shut down the kidneys.. normally, our body knows when our body has too much water by dumping the excess water into the kidneys and bladder - by producing urine.. unfortunately, during long exercises, adrenaline, cortisone and many other hormones temporarily shut down the kidneys and making them unable to get rid of excess water in the body - and too much water inside the body leads to a heart attack.. 

so in conclusion.. drink when you are thirsty and do not drink if you are not.. and if you are athlete doing long strenuous exercises, you may need to reduce the amount of water you drink while you are exercising and 20 minutes after exercise.. otherwise, 'Water weight' is the last thing you need to worry about if you are a healthy individual.. but if you have a kidney disease/disorder, like polycystic kidneys or ESRF, you should follow the doctors' recommendations about water weight management..

• 1 month ago

If a person who is dehydrated loses weight it's not fat loss, it's fluid loss.  Drinking water to stay hydrated is healthy. So do it.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I believe water weight isn't anything unhealthy. But water is completely free from sugar, calories and artificial sweeteners so drinking water helps to flush out any excess calories you consumed from eating. Drinking too much water of course can be bad for you, but not because of weight. Water *cannot* make you fat

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.