New vehicle damaged by U-Hall?

Bought a brand new vehicle, next day took to U-Hall to have trailer hitch installed. Talked to installer before he started working on my car about possibly modifying the hitch cover to allow installed hitch to go through hitch cover without removing hitch cover( showed pictures of what I was talking about). He said it wasn’t something he could do but might be able to order one that’s already cut out with trim around hole. Several hours later I talk to the manager at the U-Hall location and was informed the tech had to run to the store to buy more tools. Finally my car comes out of the shop and I see they put a hitch on that sits below the bumper and removable hitch cover. I talked to the manager about the mess up and she orders the correct hitch. Problem is while installing the wrong hitch they’ve not only cut several holes in the frame but also cut away parts of the exhaust heat shield. The tech also tells me it’s gonna be near impossible to get all the washers and bolts out of the frame(gonna hear them rattling around after he takes the wrong hitch off). Car is less that 24 hours old, how can they make this right?

U-Haul

Favorite Answer

Have them fix it. They messed it up. I would be angry if I was you. I work at a body shop, and if one of my coworkers messed up a car, we have to fix it without getting paid. That’s just how good businesses work. 

I'm shaking my head. 

If they cut holes in your frame then they have compromised the structural integrity of your vehicle.The frame and other things are carefully engineered and built and tested to withstand impacts from various directions. You might want to have a disinterested party inspect your frame, etc. You might need a lawyer, etc.I never let anybody work on my cars, only dealership if warranty or recall work is required. Everything else I do myself. I'm so tired of so many places having hack mechanics and technicians. 

They like the torch and big hammers and long pry bars and other barbaric methods. 

The guy who installed your hitch is the guy who nobody needs working on their car. 

Many modern hitches are made to mount in place by removing existing bolts or using existing holes in the frame or bumper. 

I think dealerships install hitches. 

Small Claims Court. Take pictures & work order. It's illegal to modify the exhaust heat shield. You can also complain to the state department that issued the shops license to operate.

Should have had the dealer install a genuine factory hitch....U Haul like to put on ugly *** below the bumper hitches with their name plastered all over them....

Tell them to Plug and seal the holes, replace the heat shield, remove the crap in the frame that could rattle. IF they balk then tell them the next person they will talk to is your lawyer. See if that lights a fire. 

It is U-Haul btw -