Should I keep my small savings secret from husband?

My husband and I have a pre-nup (he requested this before marriage). In the 5yrs we have been married, he has been the one making most money because Ive had difficulties finding stable jobs. I'm a freelancer and there high and low seasons, so my husband pushed me into becoming his "assistant" at work, where I get to do the things he doesn't have time to do (he works for a company that approved this) , so this creates difficulties between us as well because he mixes private and work life.

We have a baby. Im the one up at nights, and taking care of him from 7am to 2pm. After 2pm I have to work, and dad takes care now and then, but I stil need to breastfeed and put baby to sleep for naptime. So as you can see, I barely have time to work and do my own things.

My husband has now received a money from a lawsuit, and he decided to buy a house. We did search together, and when we found it, he wanted the house to be on his sole name. That is fine, it's his money. But later he offered me if I wanted to be co-owner by percentage, according to what I can pay on a monthly basis. I accepted this, but I will own only about 10% of the value of the house. It feels not right, but I will not complain because we have a prenup.

I managed to make a one time project for around 8k recently, and I have it in a separate account. I want to keep this as my savings without him knowing . If we one day divorce, I won't have a thing.

What are your thoughts on this situation?

Thank you.

• Half of it is his. If/when you get divorced he’ll find out about it anyway. 

• garry

are you a troll , all women know how to keep secrets .

If there is any validity to your seemingly manufactured story, you yourself have made your marriage's future questionable and have most likely put it on the road to destruction! Through this story you concocted you make yourself look naive, young, immature! You foolishly added a toxic waste dump in the middle of your marital circle and keep secret bank accounts to deceive your husband! You pretty much conceded your marriage and are waiting for the divorce to happen! I am hugely grateful that you aren't my wife and that my wife is nothing of your type! Grow up on your own accord young lady before life slaps you into a lonely and costly submission! You should probably add money to this secret account regularly because you are going to need it down the road when your marriage ends! You should also consider going to school to learn a actual trade that will set you up for a real job down the road! You're going to need it!

I see no problem with your savings , yes pay the tax 

and if he has secret savings you should be perfectly ok with that 

• P

This prenup sounds like something that will likely not stand up in court, especially as purchases like a house are made.   A prenup can't rewrite laws that are in your state.    You have to be very careful what you sign while you are married.  For example just because you have a prenup and the house is only in his name doesn't mean you don't actually own half of it anyway under the laws in your state.   However, by signing something after you married saying you only own 10% might actually solidify that you don't own 50%.  Essentially he may have tricked you to giving up 50% of the house you already technically owned.    It gets complicated which is why you need a lawyer to review these things for you before you dig yourself further in the hole.   As time goes on he will likely make mistakes that will invalidate the prenup, but you need to be aware of how the system works to take advantage of it. 

• ?

You married a guy who made you sign a prenup saying you would have nothing if he divorced you? Obviously he wants the house to be in his name to make sure he'll get that if he decides to end the marriage, too. This guy sounds like the type who will try to control you with money. You might be SOL...just don't turn this into a Snapped episode, please.

I seriously think you should spend some of those 8K to see a lawyer (bring the prenup) and discuss your financial situation, and then take it from there.

There is not a lot of trust from either side in your marriage and you should be looking out for your own interests.

Why did you sign a pre-nuptial agreement whereby the money earned by the spouse during the marriage stays with the spouse, if you take time off work to have a baby? If it only covers money earned before the marriage then the 8k is joint money and you would get into trouble if you are found out hiding it away.

If you divorce you will have to reveal that you have that money.  However if you can document that the money come entirely from your income and that you deposited all of it, in most states it would not be a marital access and you can keep it.  So you would want to keep records (copies of the deposit slips, the checks the money came from, etc.) to show that it is all "your money."