Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

My wife wants to move her boyfriend into a flat we joint own. Can I stop her?

My wife and I are separating. The house we live in has two flats she lives in one and my daughter and I in another. She told me today and old flame is moving to our town, and she wants him to move into the flat she stays in with our son. Is there any way I can stop him moving in?

9 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    Is the flat community property and is she co-owner? Hmmmmmmm. Better talk to an attorney on this one.

  • 2 months ago

    You could talk to the "Godfather" and get him to "suggest" that the old flame does not move in.  Or do you mean LEGAL options?

  • nope. there's nothing you can do about it. 

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    First, when you talk about flats, obviously you aren't in the US.  So be careful about any answers giving legal advice.  Since both of you own this house, however, I  seriously doubt there's anything you can do to stop him from moving in.  It would have helped to know your son's age, but if he's a younger child, you might ask a solicitor about it.   Your son is already separated from his sister (which is wrong) but now he's being forced to compete for mom's attention with some total stranger?  Your wife is being incredibly selfish and immature.  No wonder today's kids are so messed up.

  • P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Your options are limited, but a good attorney could come up with some things to discourage her.  You really just need to get the ownership\living situation taken care of as soon as possible.  

  • 2 months ago

    If you son is young, the Courts probably won't be happy with a live in arrangement IF there is no LEGAL separation.  If there IS a legal separation, no, there's little you can do.  If it's joint property, BOTH of you have to agree to evict.  You could, for example, file to evict and she could appear and argue it's joint property. 

  • i + i
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    One possibility is to "trespass" him for being 

    on private property, but this would only work 

    if your wife is ignorant enough to not know 

    that he is actually permitted because she 

    invited him onto HER property.

    You have been spinning this tale for years. 

    Will you at some point take mercy on us 

    and move on to other things?

  • 2 months ago

    I remember a story like that where the dude's ex girlfriend did the same thing. He thought he was cool with it but he eventually lost his marbles and one day came home and shot the ex wife dead. Her boyfriend wasn't at home at the time. As a man, always try your best to avoid anything that gets on your nerves, even if it means wallking away and taking a loss. You may have to lose the flat but you will have your peace of mind and will be able to heal and start over. I know you will probably ignore my advice though.

  • ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    Yes forget the separation go straight for a divorce and tell the judge you're getting a divorce because your wife wants to take your joint property and let her boyfriend move in which is marital infidelity so therefore you sue for divorce based upon marital infidelity. 

    Ask for punitive monetary damages. Document your wife's marital infidelity. 

    If your wife was divorcing you she'd be trying to get all your property. That's what you need to do you need to try to get control of all the property based on marital infidelity she broke the contract she should have to pay financial damages

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.