Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what are your thoughts on the spanish inquisition of the middle ages?

i'm asking because my elderly father is from southern spain, and on top of that, i am a medieval enthusiast...and i want to know what you think about the inquisition of spain during the middle ages.

i'm also a catholic, male, in my 40s, and born in the uk.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Spanish Inquisition, (1478–1834), judicial institution ostensibly established to combat heresy in Spain. ... In practice, the Spanish Inquisition served to consolidate power in the monarchy of the newly unified Spanish kingdom, but it achieved that end through infamously brutal methods.

• 1 month ago

It was a cruel thing done by the Spanish government that the Catholic Church was actually very much against.  The government used the Church as a cover, but the church was not in favour of this at all.  It was basically an abuse of power.

The office that did inquisitions actually still exists within the Catholic church, doing what it always did.  Which is NOT what happened in the Spanish Inquisition!

• Tina
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As a medieval enthusiast I am surprised you don't know that the Spanish Inquisition was hardly a medieval institution. It started in 1468 and was disbanded in 1834. 0r were you referring to the first few years?

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It shows the depths to which human beings can sink in order to maintain power and control over others. Nothing positive can be said about the "Auto da fe". The Inquisition was evil. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think torturing and killing people in the name of religion was evil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.