Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

vic asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

My internet company gives free anti virus software my question is why can’t they load it onto their servers before transmitting internet?

Adding more software to my computer is an inconvenience 

• L.N.

Scanning everything going through a multi-gigabit backbone would bring the Internet to a halt, not to mention most of it is encrypted. Having the end users do it utilizes the millions of individual CPU's installed in those PC's, not just a few in a big server that all the data would have to pass through. 

• Enigma

take the anti-virus then download and install it

• ?

Enterprise networks have a thing called NAC.  When you connect to the network, it scans your machine and makes sure things are running right and have proper restrictions.  I would not want my ISP to scan my machine, however.

Thanks to encryption, compressed files, and customers' concerns for privacy, not to mention the sheer volume of data to sift through, it's an impossible and unwanted task to scan everything that goes across their network. So they choose their battles, like email, and offer you tools to do the job they can't do for you.

please do some research on how the internet and its many protocols work

It'd be way more inconvenient for you if they did it your way. 

1. The Internet is more than just websites. ISPs operate on a protocol / packet level. They are content-agnostic. 

2. Even if they wanted to look at content, they can't see what you're doing over an encrypted connection or redirect your file download to one of their servers. 

3. If they didn't have a copy of the file you wanted to download beforehand, you would have to wait for them to download it, scan it, and then wait for your computer to download it again. You've doubled the time it takes to get the file and wasted bandwidth.

At the end of the day, you don't have to use it at all. Why are you whining about something free that you are not obligated to take and they are not obligated to provide?