What is the appeal of David Lee Roth as a frontman?

Why so many rock fans consider DLR one of the greatest (even the greatest) frontmen in rock history? What is the appeal of Roth? I think he was never a serious frontman, his image and stage presence was very goofy and clownish compared to most other frontmen of big rock bands. Why the masses of people like/love DLR? 

Is he still alive?

He was a character and fun to watch. 

His  "Just a Gigalo" video  was a hilarious spoof of other videos .

At the  time, he was simply the biggest Larger than Life frontman out there. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN-4lX0QyZc

There is no appeal

There are a lot of people who say they like music but they actually don't pay any attention to the actual music.  They prefer a visual spectacle.  Those are the kinds of people who like David Lee Roth.  Personally I can't stand the guy even though I'm a huge Eddie Van Halen fan.  I don't care if he can do a karate kick or jump over the speakers, it's so irrelevant to anyone who cares about the music.  But, like I said, there is a large slice of people out there that only pretend to like the music so they can be "cool".