Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

With taxes, insurance, and the cost of maintenance and repairs is owning a home worth all the headache?

Favorite Answer

Is spending 100's of thousands in rent and building no equity worth it?

In my opinion, yes. In some other people's opinions, maybe not. It's up to the individual and what they want. 

It has been for me. A comparable rental unit would run about $1200/mo where I live, which is more than double my mortgage payment. Furthermore, after about ten years in the home, I had paid off most of the mortgage, which enabled me to refinance and take $50k in cash out, and I still have $60k in equity. I can do whatever I want with the money, including replacing my HVAC, appliances, etc. (I could also take a vaca with it, but probably won't.)

For me... costs of taxes, maintenance and repairs have been much less than the cost of renting. Plus you have your own place to do with as you please.

• ?

If you do not want to pay for repairs and you do not care if your rent increases by 3% every damn year, and you have a plan if your landlord sells the place you are living into someone who wants to tear it down and put you out on the street, and if you do not want to own an asset, then owning a home is not worth it at all

Yes it is. Renting is money down the drain without security of tenure. Owning your own home means you can improve or decorate it as you  choose. You never have to worry about rent rises or eviction. Even with the taxes, maintenance and a mortgage it's likely to be cheaper that renting. OK you call it a headache. But there isn't much worse than being evicted and ending up on the street. That risk is always present.

Obviously there is not a single answer that is correct for everyone.

IMO every living situation has its pros and cons including owning vs. renting. 

I love my home, it's not a  mansion but its mine