Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

Why do OLD PEOPLE HATE ANY Star Wars Movie That Is Not From The Original Trilogy?

I hate all of the Star Wars movies.

I'm not old, but I just don't think the prequels and sequels had any of the charm of the originals. To be quite honest, the original movies weren't very good, but they were something new, and that made them special. The prequels were bad (Episode 1), forgettable and boring (Episode 2).  Episode 3 was OK, but overall they were unnecessary.  I thought the sequels were just terrible. There was potential for something interesting, but they just didn't seem to care. They thought if you slap a Star Wars logo on something, people will give them money. It worked, but the movies were just crap.

The first three movies (from the 70's and 80's) set a high watermark for the Star Wars franchise. This was followed by lots of well written stories and books. Everyone went into the prequels with excitement only to be let down. Then came the Kathleen Kennedy era at LucasFilms and it's difficult for people to appreciate a movie made by people who just don't like the story.

The Mandalorian was well received, but even that can't withstand Kennedy's political influence from getting in and mucking things up.

• ?

Nothing would make me happier than if they made a bunch of great new Star Wars films but after the first 3 they made terrible films with bad casting,poor dialogue, unbelievable plots.

Jar Jar Binks,the cringeworthy Anakin/Padme  romance,the unbelievable turning of Anakin to the dark side etc etc.

Then came Mary Sue Rei  and the weepy emo Kylo Ren  who could actually grab physical items off of Rei with a mind link. {couldn't cop a feel then?} Nice trick.

They put down Leia,Solo and made Luke into a joke.

They won't get any better either because we are getting deeper into WOKEland every year .

They'll just get stupider.

• ?

It's not because of being old, it's about the quality of the prequels.

When Lucas originally conceived the concept now known as Star Wars, the story was detailed enough to make several movies, not just one. He realized that the "first part" (Anakin's youth) would be more difficult to film (not every aspect of the story was defined yet), so he focused on the "second". He revolutionized the special effects industry with many innovations in order to make his first trilogy convincing visual-wise. He also made sure that the surroundings looked like lived-in, and not sparkling new, unlike other "futuristic" movies. There were excellent, experienced actors in the first trilogy (like Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness) and even the newer ones like Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill (who by the third film had given depth to the otherwise bland character of Luke) did a convincing job.

Many years later, when technology was at a point where it would allow him to fulfill his long-time dream of completing the story, Lucas filmed the prequels. His focus became the visuals, not so much the story or the acting. Everything looked too perfect and clean, but the dialog was poor, and the acting, bad. He also made sure to add some "comedic relief" to the serious story with Jar Jar Binks (apparently he didn't learn from the criticism drawn after incorporating the Ewoks to his third film). All of this caused the prequels to be less entertaining than episodes IV, V & VI, and he was heavily criticized by people who loved Lucas' concept of the original trilogy and had waited years to get some more.

You are wrong.

As ever

Because they've been consistently terrible.  And most millenials I know agree.

The ONLY Star Wars live-action content that has been GOOD is Mandalorian.  Rogue One was ... okay-ish.  The prequels had elements that COULD have been good in the hands of a more skilled writer, but Lucas has never been a particularly skilled writer - which is why his best works are when the script is light and fast....like the OT.  Solo was bad, but just normal bad.  The 7-8-9 trilogy were unbelievably bad...like 'college film class' levels of bad.

last I checked Mark Hamill was still more popular across generations than Daisy Ridley or John Boyega....so it's not just "old people"...

also....did you notice around Halloween that more girls still dress as "Elsa" and "Jasmine" than "Rey?"...

quite simply, 1-3 and 7-9 just weren't very good movies... the biggest element in all of them was the "Star Wars" brand...which forces comparison with the movies that established that brand....

• ?

I don't know of any who do but personally I never cared much for any other the other films other than A New Hope.  I couldn't tell you the storyline of any of the other films and I've seen them all except for maybe the latest.  

I've been a Star Trek fan since I was 5.  Star Wars is more fantasy whereas Trek is more science fiction.   I never cared for the ballet style light saber fights, the force or any of the cute stuff. 

I'm 21 and I hate the new Star Wars,ALL Avengers movies and stuff like that,I  just got good tastes:)