Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

Will you still get your period on combination birth control if you're pregnant? ?

I have tried googling his question but it is hard to get a clear answer, if I am pregnant but on birth control with placebo pills will I still get my period after taking them? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Nope. The bleeding you get when you're on the pill is not the same as a menstrual period. Your period on the pill is technically called withdrawal bleeding, referring to the withdrawal of hormones in your pill, and in your body. The drop in hormone levels causes the lining of your uterus (the endometrium) to shed (1).

• 2 months ago

You don’t get a period when pregnant and it’s very unlikely to get pregnant while on birth control if you’re taking it as directed. If you’re experiencing a period during your placebo week, that means your period came on time and you did not miss it. So no, you cannot be pregnant. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You would NOT get the period.

If a pregnant woman bleeds - she might be having a miscarriage.  Bleeding during pregnancy is NOT normal.

There is nothing about the birth control pills that would force the bleeding to happen.  Birth control pills stop ovulation because the hormones fool your body into thinking you are already pregnant - this stops ovulation.  During the placebo week, the hormones reduce enough to allow a "withdrawal bleed" to happen.  (it isn't even a real period - a REAL period happens because you ovulated - when on the pill, you don't ovulate, so the bleed you get during the placebo week is just a withdrawal bleed from the change in hormones.)  

If you are ACTUALLY pregnant,  your hormones would be continuing to increase and the withdrawal bleeding would not happen because your natural hormones would also be in "pregnancy" mode.  

There are several hormones that change during pregnancy and the birth control pills don't cause a false positive test because they aren't increasing the hormone that shows up on a pregnancy test.  But, the birth control pill does change the right hormone to stop ovulation.

• helene
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, you will not. Just as if you weren't on the pill.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It is impossible to get your period while pregnant. A period is the shedding of the lining of the uterus. When you get pregnant the baby attaches to the lining. If that lining comes out while you are pregnant it's called a miscarriage. 

• 2 months ago

If your pregnant you shouldn't have a period. There will be cramps and discharge. I'm not sure what is that your looking for. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.