Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

Is it true that your child can just take math and English if you home school them.?

I was told if you go to school you have to learn every subject, but if you home school your kids they can pick what they want to do. If it's true when I have kids. I would just like them to learn Math and English... maybe. 

No.  There's a required program for at-home schooling.

• drip

You can read state homeschooling laws on your state’s government education web site. 

• MS

No, there are still standards that must be met.  While it varies by state, you normally have to demonstrate what you are teaching and what your child has learned.  In my state you have a choice between presenting a portfolio that a certified teacher evaluates or having the child complete standardized testing.  In order to receive a homeschool diploma, a student must complete all of the graduation requirements for the state.  A student could also instead take the GED, but would have to know more than math and English to pass that. 

i dont see why not

• Eva

They can't do just those 2 subjects and receive a diploma.  There are very specific requirements that they must fulfill in order to receive one.