. asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

I am a supervisor but I make almost the same as someone I supervise, is this acceptable? Is this a common practice? ?

I am a supervisor at a hospital and one of my employees was complaining that she only makes 16 an hour but the crazy thing is I only make 16.30 an hour and she reports to me. I am getting paid 30 cents more than her and have a boatload more of responsibilities and stress. I actually was doing her position for $13 an hour before I got promoted.

She has been working for the company for 5 years and I have been working their for 2 1/2 years. 

Is this fair? I want to confront my manager but i’m not sure how. 

• Willie

You need to look for another job because no employee should come close to what their supervisor earns in an hour.

It's better not to "confront" but simply to talk to your supervisor. Explain to him/her the issue, say how much people who report to you get and how much you get... in my opinion, that difference of $0,5 per hour is ridiculous. Tell your supervisor that you think you deserve more (and find arguments to prove your point). I hope you'll get your rise.

Its not that uncommon based on the time on job.

How often do they give out raises?  How have your reviews been?

Bringing up someone elses pay is not a great idea.

When I was promoted, I was happy about the extra responsibility even though it did come with a ton of extra stress for the first few months. After that, it was pretty easy sailing.  I actually got paid almost twice as much and I was able to work fewer hours most of the time.

(salary & bonuses). Supposed to work a minimum of 48 hours but they did not check or enforce that as long as I was delivering the results.

Similarly I worked about 70 hours for the first few months for no extra pay. I had to prove myself. They kept saying it would get better but I was getting tired and kept thinking to myself..."it better". It did.  I think a lot of people would have quit if they were in my shoes the first few months.

Our company had pay scales such that a brand new area manager could sometimes make less than a store manager in a high volume store who had been doing it for 10 years.  Longevity has a lot to do with it.

I never made area manager, I did not stay long enough.

• n2mama

Unfortunately, fair doesn’t often enter into the work place. That said, it might be appropriate to have a discussion (not confrontation) with your boss about this. You do say that you were making $13/hr before getting promoted into this position at $16.30/hr. How recently were you promoted? Because the fact of the matter is, if you felt $16.30/hr was fair for you to accept when you took the promotion for the workload and responsibilities, to say you now find it unfair because you found out how much one of your reports makes isn’t going to go over well. Yes, in theory a supervisor should make significantly more than their reports do, however, a relatively new and inexperienced supervisor might make less than a very experienced report who has worked there for a while and gotten nice increases over the years. 

If you want to have the discussion with your boss, you need to prepare for it appropriately. The focus of your conversation needs to be about the responsibilities of the position and your contributions. The pay of your report has no place in that conversation at all, and could be counter productive to your goal. It would also be good to do some market research and find out what the average pay for a supervisor with your education and experience in hospitals in your area is. If you find the average rate of pay is $18/hr, then you would use that as support to your request for an increase. If you find that the average rate of pay is $16.50/hr, then you may decide not to have the discussion at all. Remember, if you accepted the promotion and pay rate relatively recently (within the past 6-12 months or less), you have a weak position to negotiate from, since this rate of pay was good enough then.

dont sound fair but i would just be thankful you have the job

• ?

It is reasonable to have a meeting with your manager about this.  Prepare a list of your responsibilities vs. those of the employee you supervise, request a meeting, and in the meeting, express your concern that you discovered your two hourly wages are so similar when you have many more responsibilities and are the supervisor.  You could also mention your previous earnings in the job she is doing.

Something a bit like this happened to me once. I spoke to my boss, who went to higher ups, and my salary was increased. My boss was pretty shocked when a brand new hire -- doing exactly my job but on a different team in the organization -- turned out to be making more than I was.

It's not uncommon.  Salary is based on a lot of things, including the amount of time you've been there, how long you've been in the position and what you can make elsewhere.

Saying "well she makes..." probably won't get you anywhere.  Instead talk about the good job you do and your value to the company.

Make sure you actually ask for the raise.  Don't just beat around the bush.