Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

On the moon how high would you have to jump to the point were you just flew away?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Zardoz
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

56 thousand kilometers. That's the size of the Moon's Hill sphere. You don't need to reach escape velocity because you don't have to escape from the Moon's gravity, you only have to get far enough to pass beyond the Moon's Hill sphere. Get past that and the gravity of other bodies is stronger than that of the Moon. Mind you, the difference between the Moon's escape velocity and the near instantaneous velocity you'd need to jump 56,000 km straight up is less than a dozen m/s.

Source(s): [n] = 10ⁿ
  • 1 month ago

Impossible. The Moon's gravitational acceleration. Is 1/6 Earth's,  but no human could reach escape victory from the Moon . 

• 1 month ago

How high you jump would not matter.

You would need to attain escape velocity.

During Apollo flights, just to get back into Lunar orbit, the Ascent Stage of the LM had to go from zero MPH on the surface up to 3,000 MPH.

The only astronomical bodies from which you could reach escape velocity just by jumping would be very, very small asteroids.

• 1 month ago

Altitude would not matter

It is Escape Velocity

On the Moon it is 5, 300 mph

Earth's 17, 500 mph

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's not altitude... it's speed.  You can be motionless, and 1,000 miles high over the moon - it's gravity is going to pull you down.  But, if you could jump with a speed of about 5,300 mph from it's surface - you'd have escape velocity, and would never return.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I dont know, my guess is about 30 feet.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I dont think it's possible for a human. I heard that you can jump so high that you will break your legs when you land. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.