Anon asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

My mom scheduled an appointment with a new doctor I'm not comfortable with. Can I refuse to be examined?

It's an ENT, but I specifically said I wasn't comfortable with this doctor because of his poor reputation in treating teenage patients. 

You can refuse any doctor or any exam. Hippa makes that perfectly clear here in the States

• L

Since you will be using your parent's medical insurance..............go.  If he proves he's not good - then complain.

You will have to do many things in life you aren't "comfortable" with. This might be a good place to start.

• Andy C

Depends on how old you are and what type of examination is being done. 

if you arent going to be examined, then certainly dont go, but what exactly is this info on "poor treating of teenagers" coming from? It may not even be accurate. ask your mom for another doc, but her insurance may be limited, just as an FYI.

Absolutely.  If you live in the US, there are HIPPA laws that protect you as a patient.  Regardless of your age, you do not have to submit to any procedure or process that you feel uncomfortable with, unless you have given your consent beforehand or you are incapable of making decisions due to a mental or physical disorder. 

just talk to your mom about it

Yup no consent = no consultation