Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Dave asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 month ago

If macroevolution is true, how come mayflies have not evolved into more complex and better species?

Hear me out. quick google search claims mayflies have been around for 350 million years. Typical mayfly lifespan is one day. So, given the entire existence of the species, they have had approximately 126 BILLION generations, arguably more than any other multi-celled organism (I don't know that for sure, I'm not a biologist), but in any case, it is A LOT of generations. Definitely more than humans have had. BUT they have been around for 350 million years, apparently having reached the pinnacle of evolution. Obviously at some point wings were "evolved" as they were "advantageous", but you know what is better than wings? A prefrontal cortex. A warm-blooded metabolism. A lifespan of more than one day (it's all about survival of the species right?). I could go on. I find it hard to believe that larger jumps in macroevolution such as anaerobic to areobic, organ systems, self-awareness, have occurred in much less generations, but here's the mayfly, perfectly content, dying daily. But it fits perfectly in nature! You may say. They fulfill an important role in the food chain! They do . . .almost like it was DESIGNED that way. There is no reason why an organism would stay basically the same for 126 billion generations otherwise. I simply don't have enough faith to believe in macroevolution, and this is one reason why. And before you put on those fossil record pants, its got some pretty large holes in it.  I think you may have accidentally had a Cambrian explosion. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • dybydx
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

They have, Silly.  I take exception to you using the word "better".  More suitable to the environment they live in is more accurate.

• 1 month ago

Because that is not how evolution works. There is no end goal, there is no better or more evolved form.

Mayflies currently succeed within their ecological niche, there has not been sufficient selection pressures to cause a drastic change.

You are also misunderstanding mayflies. It is only the mature breeding adult stage that lasts such a short time. They can spend years in their acquatic nymph stage before moulting into their winged adult form. 

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The most recent understanding of the evolution of insects is based on studies of the following ... However, with their small size and light build, insects have not left a particularly ... While some 1/3 of known non-insect species are extinct fossils, due to the ... Hemiptera, or true bugs had appeared in the form of Arctiniscytina and ...

• 1 month ago

True, up to a point. mayflies that evolved are no longer mayflies, but some mayflies will have survived as mayflies. 

Evolution, in itself, does NOT mean the earlier forms always go extinct. Species go extinct only when their niche completely disappears for whatever reason.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's already perfect as a species.  So are alligators,  jellyfish, octopus,  sharks and clams.

• Herve
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Macroevolution is microevolution, but over a longer time. The distinction between them was invented by ID enthusiasts.

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

A prefrontal cortex is worthless for the aquatic insect habitat - which mayflies have been ROCKING!

Evolution tunes populations to their environment, it does not make judgement calls whether being more like a human is better than anything else. Humans have never been the center of the universe nor the ultimate goal of biological evolution - we occupy a niche just like mayflies - outside of that niche, we're screwed.

• 1 month ago

So according to your argument, mayflies and all other living things should have already evolved to be human, because humans are . . . in your words . . . "better" than other animals.  Humans are the pinnacle of evolution, so evolution, if it exists at all, should be "trying" to elevate all species to the level of humans.  And that's your proof of intelligent design.  I have no trouble believing your claim of not being a biologist.  (And BTW, I am.)

• 1 month ago

You don't have to tell us that you are not a biologist; it is obvious. Mayflies don't reproduce every day of the year. One generation per year is the norm. Eggs need time to hatch into naiads, which need time to develop into adults, who mate, lay eggs, and die in about a day.

Just because you can visualize a trait that you think would make a mayfly "better" (whatever THAT means) does not mean that mayflies need it. They manage to live and reproduce quite well as they are.

Just because you have been brainwashed by other non-biologists doesn't mean that you know much about biology. While a Ph. D. in Zoology might make you "better", you certainly don't need one to survive, make a living, and reproduce. In that regard you are like a mayfly. Get the idea?

Don't take this as a slam. Everyone is ignorant about SOMETHING. In my case, it is a lot of things. The important thing is that you ask questions and are, I assume, willing to learn from the answers.

• 1 month ago

Your argument is a Swiss cheese mix of massive holes held together by bullshit.

You keep throwing around words like "better" as if they mean something. They don't. The ONLY thing that matters in evolution is survival and reproduction. Mayflies have managed those things just fine for all those years. So they're still here.

All those other layers of nonsense in your post is just you imposing moral judgements on basic biology, which is even more pointless than it sounds.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.