Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

How much longer will my 2015 kia rio last?

It has 58k miles and works well. I just got new tires on it and new battery. 60k factory service done at dealer for over $500.

All these things including new tires cost over $1300. So it is now costing lot for maintenance. 

Just wondering how much longer will it go?

The car is fully paid off and so I want it to last long time. How to ensure that happens?

In these tough pandemic times, new car is completely out of reach

well lets hope it goes for another 54k miles at least just keep up on normal maintenance items. and as stated do not worry about the timing belt as it has a chain but not to say the idler on it will hold up. in fact rockauto does not even show a chain so for now they must not be an item to worry about

That may be the last set of tires you buy for that car. Enjoy the next 40,000 miles and pray for the last 8,000.

No one can predict that with any certainty. If you want the car to last then drive it gently and get oil changes and other service regularly. That way, you have a good chance to catch problems while they're still small and cheaper to fix. I suggest taking the car to a mechanic twice a year, even if there's nothing wrong, and asking them to look it over and fix whatever they suggest fixing. Spring and fall are probably the best times. You probably want oil changes more often that, depending how much you drive and what the manufacturers suggest. Oil changes are cheap, and a good investment because oil is what keeps your engine going and engines are expensive. I go to one of those drive-thru places for that. If your car is still under warranty you may have to go to the dealer for anything.

Most of the cars I've had have been at least 15 years old when I got them and I keep them for years. It may cost more to maintain an older car and you will occasionally get a big bill for repairs, but if you don't have any loan payments to make then that's at least $300 a month you no longer have to spend on buying the car. If you have to spend $150 on maintenance and repairs you're still ahead. Put the extra into a fund for buying a new car ten years from now and you'll save money by not having to finance it.

I have a 20 year old minivan. Summer of 2015 I got a new transmission for it. That was $5000 and that's a big bill for a 15 year old car. Most people would have junked it at that point but I knew all the rest of it was good so I went for it. So that's $833 a year I've spent on that transmission if it only lasts another 4 months but I expect it will last a lot longer than that. That's the same every year as I would have spent on about two months' worth of monthly payments on a brand new minivan. And in the last two years, aside from oil changes, I've spent only $900 on repairs. Compare that to the $4800 or more that I would have spent on monthly payments in two years for a brand new version of the same car.

Cars cost money, there is no way around it. You spend to buy them and you spend to maintain them and you spend to repair them.

With proper routine maintenance, you should have another 20 years.

No way to know

• garry

you still havent got the new timing belt in $1,000 . 

Start changing your oil and filter every 3,000 miles or every 5,000 miles if running synthetic oil. Check your oil level every 1,000 miles between oil changes and top up the oil to the upper dipstick mark. You have adjustable cam timing actuators in your motor and motors with adjustable cam timing have a common problem with actuator failure due to dirty oil and low oil level in the motor. If the actuators seize up it will cost over $1000 to repair. 

Tires and batteries have to be replaced on every car.  Keep up the maintenance and your car could last for ever.  Things might break or wear out, but fix and replace and it will last a long, long time.

• Anton

KIA vehicles are more reliable than the Japanese.

Our '02 Sportage is doing just fine.

• JJ

I consulted my crystal ball and it said at least another 5 years before something major happens.