Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

Adderall and Vitamin C?

So I hear you shouldn't drink Vitamin C when taking Adderall because it makes the Adderall not work as strong. But I read somewhere, that someone drinks orange juice at night (when they've taken the Adderall earlier in the day) to help wind down their body from the Adderall to help them sleep at night. Which sounded interesting to me.

But I was wondering, if you take the Adderall in the day and then drink orange juice at night, before bed, will it be okay to take the Adderall again, the next morning? Because I would think the vitamin C would still be in your body...? And would probably not make the Adderall work as well the next morning.

I also read you can take Tums to clear the acidity in your stomach (from orange juice) before taking the Adderall. But I don't know. I usually take a sleeping pill at night after Adderall, but someone has said sleeping pills have an adverse effect on Adderall, when you take Adderall the next morning. 

I take Adderall as needed, but notice the 2nd day I take the Adderall, its not as strong as the day before. But if I take it every other day, I have no problem with it not working as strong, since I'm taking a break in between.

What are your thoughts??? 

• ?

You shouldn't take ascorbate (vitamin C) an hour before or after you take medication. ADHD stimulants (amphetamines) are strongly alkaline and will ionize and form ascorbate salts. This will prevent the absorption of the drug into the body from the intestines. Really you should take these drugs on an empty stomach in the morning.

Vitamin C can be taken 1 hour after you took Adderall. Taking orange juice at night when you took Adderall in the morning will have absolutely no effect on the absorption of Adderall. But, juice is not a good pre-bedtime drink for all the reasons you'd think—it's extremely acidic, which is never a good idea before bed, regardless of if you suffer from reflux or not. It's also very sugary, which, as you know, isn't helpful for those trying to fall asleep more easily. As a general rule you should stop eating/drinking at least 2-3 hours before going to bed. Only drink water before going to bed

Source(s): MD