Eric asked in SportsBaseball · 1 month ago

Put my son in little league and the coach is a nightmare. What should I do?

So baseball was a big part of my life growing up. Played all my life from tee ball to pony league to high school. I have two boys my son age 1 and step son age 8. I finally got the 8 year old interested in the sport and was so excited that he wanted to join little league. Now I’m getting discouraged and I fear he will too. & His teams coach is starting to frustrate me to the point where I’m considering confronting him because I’m my perspective he just doesn’t give a damn. He’s not teaching these kids the game at all. 2 games in and we’ve been crushed both times I see all the other coaches coaching up their kids during the game while he just watches and laughs it off when our team looks clueless out there. These kids are catching grounders and continuously throwing it to first no matter the scenario because that’s all he taught them to do. He keeps cancelling practice. & We’ve done one field practice, ONE! The rest is at a facility that he takes his son too where he only practices batting and throwing with the kids, he clearly only chooses the facility so his son who plays travel ball can get practice in while he’s “coaching” our kids. He’s not teaching them fielding, where to throw the ball in different scenarios, nothing on the field. It was so bad that our catchers didn’t know where to kneel during the game and the opposing teams coach had to step in and show them where to kneel behind the plate. I can see discouragement on my sons face and I had enough. What should I do?

Be prepared to devote your time and replace him if you don't like what he's doing.  He won't change.