Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

does stomach xray show intestines?

I was wondering if something was wrong with my intestines would an stomach x-ray or ultra sound show it ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

An abdominal X-ray is a picture of structures and organs in the belly (abdomen). This includes the stomach, liver, spleen, and large and small intestines. It also includes the diaphragm, which is the muscle that separates the chest and belly areas. Often two X-rays will be taken from different positions.

• 1 month ago

Sometimes, but usually not.

The bowels are vaguely outlined on standard radiography, but there usually isn't anything appreciable one can tell from them.

Ultrasound isn't a very good tool, either.  It's sometimes used for children with suspected appendicitis or other specific intrabdominal complaints, when radiation exposure from CT is being avoided, but it's usually inconclusive and just ends up leading to other forms of imaging such as CT or MRI.

CT scans with oral contrast are a much better imagining tool for intestinal issues.

• 1 month ago

It all depends on the image taken so it is impossible to say.

X-rays are not much used, on their own particularly, as being soft tissues the stomach and intestines do not show up very well on x-rays.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I was recently in hospital with a suspected intestinal blockage. I had an abdominal x-ray which showed constipation and nothing more serious. It depends on what you suspect is wrong with your intestines as coeliac disease, for example, wouldn't show up on an x-ray and requires an endoscopy or colorectal cancer which would require a colonoscopy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Infusion of barium solution to the lower gastro-intestinal tract used to be a way for x-ray examination to show intestines.

Now better methods are used:

Ultrasound

CT scan

MRI scan

Colonoscopy

Capsule containing a camera 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.