Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Does work in office make more than hairdressing ?

I’ve been out of school for a few years now. I wanted to pursue hairdressing, but constantly told by family hairdressers make little money, its office jobs like admin. I didn’t believe it at first, because I find one of them super boring. Then again I don’t even have that much of a passion for hair, and I still don’t know what to do with my life.so I’ve been thinking about it

Are they right?   

Update:

I can never actually find work so I’ve been few studying community college courses 😭

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It often does, butnot all office jobs pay more than hairdressing.

• 1 month ago

A skilled hairdresser in a popular city salon can make a LOT more money than an unskilled college drop-out who makes the tea and supervises the photocopying machine.

• 1 month ago

Hairdressers live on their tips, you need to do volume, if there's not enough customers,  you are going home with a lot less. 

• 1 month ago

Office workers make around $23,000 a year to $48,000, while hairdressers make only $16,000 or more, depending on where you live. So to answer your question, yes. Office workers typically make more than hairdressers. BUT that depends on how often you work, and what position you have. Because if you work extra hard as a hairstylist you could make more that a low positioned office worker.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your question can be answered better in the Careers and Employment category of Business and Finance.  It has nothing to do with Books and Authors.

If you don't have a passion for hair, why do you want to be a hair stylist?

As for money made, both clerical work and hair styling don't have big paychecks. Administration pays more, but you have to be a senior head or department manager to make a middle class income.  If you are a very creative and ambitious hair stylist you might make a better living than the woman who cuts my hair. Also, Covid-19 restrictions have meant layoffs and salon closures.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you've been out of school for years, why on earth haven't you bothered to at least try working in either job?  How do you know you'd find them boring?

Get some work experience.  Try different office jobs - there are thousands of different types of work you can do in offices.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends on what kind of "work in office".  A trained accountant will certainly make good money.  An untrained clerk will probably make minimum wage.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.