? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Does work in office make more than hairdressing ?

I’ve been out of school for a few years now. I wanted to pursue hairdressing, but constantly told by family hairdressers make little money, its office jobs like admin. I didn’t believe it at first, because I find one of them super boring. Then again I don’t even have that much of a passion for hair, and I still don’t know what to do with my life.so I’ve been thinking about it

Are they right?   

I can never actually find work so I’ve been few studying community college courses 😭

It often does, butnot all office jobs pay more than hairdressing.

A skilled hairdresser in a popular city salon can make a LOT more money than an unskilled college drop-out who makes the tea and supervises the photocopying machine.

Hairdressers live on their tips, you need to do volume, if there's not enough customers,  you are going home with a lot less. 

Office workers make around $23,000 a year to $48,000, while hairdressers make only $16,000 or more, depending on where you live. So to answer your question, yes. Office workers typically make more than hairdressers. BUT that depends on how often you work, and what position you have. Because if you work extra hard as a hairstylist you could make more that a low positioned office worker.

• Marli

Your question can be answered better in the Careers and Employment category of Business and Finance.  It has nothing to do with Books and Authors.

If you don't have a passion for hair, why do you want to be a hair stylist?

As for money made, both clerical work and hair styling don't have big paychecks. Administration pays more, but you have to be a senior head or department manager to make a middle class income.  If you are a very creative and ambitious hair stylist you might make a better living than the woman who cuts my hair. Also, Covid-19 restrictions have meant layoffs and salon closures.

• Cogito

If you've been out of school for years, why on earth haven't you bothered to at least try working in either job?  How do you know you'd find them boring?

Get some work experience.  Try different office jobs - there are thousands of different types of work you can do in offices.

• Rick B

Depends on what kind of "work in office".  A trained accountant will certainly make good money.  An untrained clerk will probably make minimum wage.