Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

How do I find out what prop management place is managing a house?

The reason i ask is because the fence between me & the owner of the property behind me needs to be replaced really bad. There is a renter there, but I've spoke with her & she wants to pretend she owns the house & makes the decisions about this. There is a HUGE banana tree that is really close to the fence on the owner's side. The fence guy told me it would need to be removed to put in a new fence. I also want to speak to the owner or, at least the property manager, about this. The tenant does not want the tree removed, but again she is not the owner & wants to play like she is. She will not give me the property manager's phone number or the owner's number.

I sent an email to a man who appears like he's the owner on a people search site, but I did not receive any answer back, so not sure if this is the owner or the owner's current email. What would you advise me to do? The fence is close to falling over, it is really bad & filled with termites. If I had to pay the entire amount myself for a new fence I would, although I don't think that's fair. Advise please!!!! Even if I am willing to pay for the entire thing, wouldn't I still have to get the other owner's permission to remove the old fence & put in a new one?

I did look up the owner on the county tax record; however, I still don't know how to get a hold of him. All I know is a property manager manages the property. How do i get a hold of the owner now that I have his name?

• Rita

Ask Friends and Colleagues for Referrals.

Research Property Managers Online.

Visit Their Properties.

Interview Several People.

Check Licenses and Certifications.

You can probably find out from the tax assessor or tax collector's office who owns the property.

Write to him.  Tell him the fence/termite situation and ask if he will pay for half of a new fence.  Make sure you submit a new fence suggestion so that he can approve what he is paying for, or he may not pay you, justified by the cost of your choice.  Tell him the installation cost too.  If you expect him to be fair with you and pay for half, you have to be fair with him.  Property managers have no authority over replacing a fence.  Their job is to rent it to responsible renters and collect payment.

You are just going to have to work at this a bit harder.  From the owners name, just do a few white pages searches to figure out their phone number and then give them a call.  However, since they have a property management company its likely they don't want to be bothered (may ignore your calls if you can get the right number), so when you call them I migth say there is some damage (the fence) and you wanted to know who to contact or else you'll have to file in small claims court. If that doesn't at least get you the property managers phone number (assuming the owner gets the message) then nothing will.

The owner and manager don't have to do anything about the fence/ tree but at least it would be nice to ask.

Since the tenant is pretending to be the owner I guess you could take them to small claims court. I'll bet once they get served then they'll tell you who the owner/ manager is and if they still won't then I'll bet they'll tell the judge. If they don't show up to court, however, it could all be a waste of time since (duh) they aren't really the owner, but they also are not obliged to give you any of this info - kinda weird that they won't though.

You don't need permission if it's your fence.  What type of fence?  Which way is the "back" of the fence facing?  If the "back" is facing you, it's your fence, do as you please (but not the tree removal).

PM duties vary, some do everything, some only handle finances, and everything in between.

if you looked up property tax records, it would give the mailing address of the owner.  write a letter.  if he still doesn't respond, you need to take legal action.

NO THE WAY THE FENCE FACES IS NOT ABSOLUTE PROOF WHO OWNS IT..laws vary, previous agreements between neighbors vary, etc.

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THE OWNER DOESN"T WANT TO BE BOTHERED BECAUSE THEY HAVE A MANAGER...the owner needs to turn it over to the manager to deal with.

you can report issues to code enforcement.

who owns the fence?  if its you, you can take it down, you don't need to contact the other owner.  you will have to go around the tree.  you can only remove branches that are overhanging your property,

if the fence is yours, you need to pay in full, it is not fair of you to demand another owner pays for a fence they don't want.

if you need permission depends on who ones the fence, it's usually 1 person or the other.

Go down to the county, there is an office and that information is public record. You will get a name & address, probably not a phone number.

It might be online too. In my county, you can do it online by name or address.

Tax assessors office I think.  But years ago you could only do it in person. 

You may have to send a letter.  There may or may not be a property manager. He may do it himself.

• Maxi

So contact land registry and get the owners name/address

• ?

The owner is public record but you may not be able to find out who the property manager is.  

You can look up the current owner on your county records.  It's usually on the County Auditor's website.  Google (Your County) Real Estate records and put in the address.