Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

If Mexicans aren’t a race then what race are they?

I have often heard that “Mexican” isn’t a race and while I am aware that anyone born in Mexico is considered “Mexican”, my question is mostly relating to what race the majority of Mexican population is? They’re often dark skinned and have distinct features. They clearly aren’t white (yes, I’m aware that some are, but I’m referring to the dark skinned ones) and almost appear more Native American in appearance. 

Are they simply Native Central American and Native mixes who adopted the Spanish language, similarly to how Native American tribes in what is now the USA took on English?

Also, side question, on the census, why is “Hispanic/Latino” an option but “Canadian” isn’t? Why are Hispanics/Latinos given an option to identify as such?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

They originally were Spanish, but they also mixed with natives in Central America. Like, what do you call offspring from blacks and whites? 

• 1 month ago

I would expect most of them have both Iberian and Native American ancestry.

Many Hispanic and Latin American people identify more with their country than that ethnic label, so they're in the same boat as Canadians.

• Mexican is a nationality, not a race. Is American a race? Lots of people who post here think America is a White country. People in Mexico are descended from over 50 native cultures. These tribal people were conquered by the Spanish. Many Black people from Dominica and Haiti and other similar countries came to Mexico. There are a lot of Germans in Mexico as Mexico welcomed the Nazis who fled Germany. Lots of other Europeans live in Mexico, too.  So Mexico. like America is a melting pot. The huge difference is that in Mexico the native tribe were not anialated as they were further North.

Hispanic/Latino is included in the census as that information is critical to identifying whether we are meeting the needs of this diverse population. Canadian needs are not that much different than mainstay US needs.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

We are all part of one race - THE HUMAN RACE.  We are capable of breeding with any other 'race' of human being but not with any other forms of life. That is how God made it to be.  When this life is over and Jesus returns to take 'His own' to be with Him He will not be looking at our colour, our eye shape, our hair texture or anything else. All He will judge us by will be whether or not we accepted Him as Lord of our lives.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Most are mixed with white Spanish and the native meso-americans which were mongoloid.

• 1 month ago

Homo sapien is a Species. That’s not a race. There are genetically distinct subgroups within Homo sapien species that have evolved separately for tens of thousands of years. 

Strictly speaking, Humans don’t even belong to the same species, let alone race. We are more like hybrid species. Let’s be honest. Eurasians mixed  with Neanderthals. Present-day sub-Saharan Africans trace up to 19% of their genetic ancestry to an extinct archaic hominid species (Homo erectus or Homo habilis) that is NOT found in the DNA of present-day Asians or Caucasians. 

• Zirp
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Al humans alive are one-and-the-same race: Homo Sapiens Sapiens

• 1 month ago

Most are a mixture of Iberian/Southern European Mediterraneanoids (oliveskins) and Mesoamerican/Nahua natives, with a few drops of Africa from the Transatlantic slave trade and the African Moorish conquest of Iberia/Southern Europe...

Most Mexicans are basically "mutts"...

• 1 month ago

What race are Mexicans?  They come in all races.  I have met White Mexicans, Black Mexicans, Chinese-Mexicans who speak Spanish and Chinese.  Native Mexicans [Indigenous]. The majority of Mexicans are mixed race, part White and part Indigenous.  Just like the US, you can't tell a Mexican by his color.  

• Ivan
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Mexican is a nationality. There are white Mexicans , black Mexicans, Asian Mexicans , Native Mexicans and interracial mixtures of all of them. They are still all Mexicans.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.