Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can I use ocean water to cook pasta?

I'd like to go to the ocean and get some ocean water to cook pasta with since it's pre-salted. Is this safe?

37 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes all you have to do is boil it to kill the bacteria.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

no just fart on it for heat

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I'm sure none of us here have peed in the water

while at the beach.

• 1 month ago

yes, but only if freshly shat on by the finest birds and fish, but then again im sure its all like that so yes, you should. adds flavour.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Personal opinion I think it would be a bit salty. And as it boils the salt will concentrate even more making it even saltier. 

While I hear a lot of people say to "salt the pasta water until it is like the sea" I do not salt it that much. Not to mention the sea water is not that clean, I sure would not use it (think of the people that pee in it, the boaters that dump sewage into it...and the people that use it as a garbage dump)

• 1 month ago

Actually, in the Med, the recipe for pasta is to salt the water so it is as salty as the Mediterranean Sea, so you're spot on. Living in Florida, I find it easier to add sea salt to tap water until that level of saltiness tastes right.

• Moya
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No its its not safe 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I wouldn't do it but I suppose in a emergency it could be done but make

sure you go out far enough to get clean water.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Actually I have, although it was a bottle of it given to me, rather than walking out into the ocean and filling one.

If going that way, I would go out to about waist deep, so not as to get any sand in it-or just strain it first. 

• 1 month ago

I mean, I wouldn’t. There’s a lot of wee and other icky stuff in the sea, but you do you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.