Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

Why does everyone expect me to have my own place at 23? I have a couple of jobs, pay bills, but I still have not been able to save up?

Favorite Answer

No, maybe some people do, but I don't.

In fact, I think just the opposite.  I don't think anyone should be tied down to a mortgage in their early 20s.  Others say that paying rent is wasting money.  I say that it provides for personal development and the flexibility that goes along with it.

The 20s, especially the early to mid-20s, should be able figuring out what direction you want to go.  Not that you can't change it at any time but it's easier to change in your 20s. 

- where you want to live = maybe you want to live in a completely different part of the country

- the type of job you want

- type of housing you are interested in

- what you want in a house - do you like maintenance or not.

- or it's even ok to not want a house and be a lifelong renter with the flexibility or lack of responsibility it provides.  Real estate is very expensive and many areas and not the best investment for growth. 

• ?

By 23, you should simply have your act together..no debt, in your own apartment or dorm

Not living at home on patents cell phone plan..

Who cares what they expect? Everyone is different. I lived at home until I was 30 and it was a huge head start allowing me to save, start my business and invest.

My nephews got their own place right after college but they both got high paying jobs because they graduated in in demand fields with good grades.