Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

should a new bowie knife be razor sharp?

i recently bought a new bowie type knife online, i haven't opened the package yet, but im wondering whether it will be razor sharp? or arn't they supposed to come as sharp as that?

if the bowie knife is supposed to be razor sharp, then i unpackage it and discover it isn't, should i complain to the company i bought it from?

id appreciate any advice on this.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

As Kieth says, there is a difference between "factory edge" and what someone else can do for the edge, but, there are some folks who will ruin an edge if they don't use the right tools and guides. You don't need "razor" sharpness on a knife because you can never maintain it properly. Get recommendations for a good service and discuss what you want to do with knife blades. Another side of things is if you didn't pay good money for a blade then you can't expect much from it. $25-$50 isn't where you find the good stuff and you need to know the difference between a working knife blade and a show-off knife. I always remember the Crocodile Dundee knife scenes for example. 

The same is true for broadhead blades, they come with a very sharp factory "razor" edge, but they almost all suggest honing those edges some too. 

• 2 months ago

If it's not sharp, sharpen it. Problem solved.

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Most blades come with a factory edge, which isn't razor sharp. Online companies like Atlanta Cutlery have a sharpening service when you buy from them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.