Are present day Greeks the same people as ancient Greeks?

Ancient Greeks excelled in different areas such as democracy, philosophy, mathematics, plays, poetry, medicine and sculptures while present day Greeks are... just ordinary people like anyone else in the world.

@NiteOwl: Haha Yep, Greeks are feisty.

@Sofia: I think I heard about Kazantzakis and by googling him I see he was the author of Zorba the Greek and The Last Temptation of Christ.

Portuguese gave to the world knowledge about navigation and cartography. It was them who first started globalization.

There weren't that many American Indians in Brazil...

@Anonymous: Thank you for your answer but this question is not about being "whiter" or whatever. Also all people in Europe are mutts.

Anyway, I do know Modern Greeks are the descendants of Ancient Greeks.

Favorite Answer

300 half naked modern Greeks would stop the modern Persian/Iranian army...

No the same as today's Egyptians are Nothing like ancient Egyptians and the Italians are Not Romans

Present day Greeks compared to the Ancient ones received more Slavic DNA/genetic input but other than that yes. 

Also didn’t you ask whether Turks and Greeks were related a few days ago??

Not entirely. They're mixed. Greeks were whiter in the past. Modern Greeks are the result of Turkic groups conquering and occupying Greece for a long time. The same is true for the people of Turkey which used to be a whiter region (Lydia and Anatolia). 

You don't know Kazantzakis or Papadimitriou? 

If you have not read about modern Greek history then you know nothing about Greece 

Greeks are ofcourse the same as ancient Greeks 

Proud offsprings of their ancestors 

Source(s): What special things Portugal gave to this world? Aren't Portuguese feisty for killing native Americans?

Eastern oliveskins...

How can the be? Any and all ancient Greeks are long dead, hence the word "ancient." I am not my dead great grandfather. Are you yours?