Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Are present day Greeks the same people as ancient Greeks?

Ancient Greeks excelled in different areas such as democracy, philosophy, mathematics, plays, poetry, medicine and sculptures while present day Greeks are... just ordinary people like anyone else in the world.

Update:

@NiteOwl: Haha Yep, Greeks are feisty.

Update 2:

@Sofia: I think I heard about Kazantzakis and by googling him I see he was the author of Zorba the Greek and The Last Temptation of Christ.

Portuguese gave to the world knowledge about navigation and cartography. It was them who first started globalization.

There weren't that many American Indians in Brazil...

Update 3:

@Anonymous: Thank you for your answer but this question is not about being "whiter" or whatever. Also all people in Europe are mutts.

Update 4:

Anyway, I do know Modern Greeks are the descendants of Ancient Greeks.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

300 half naked modern Greeks would stop the modern Persian/Iranian army...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No the same as today's Egyptians are Nothing like ancient Egyptians and the Italians are Not Romans

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Present day Greeks compared to the Ancient ones received more Slavic DNA/genetic input but other than that yes. 

Also didn’t you ask whether Turks and Greeks were related a few days ago??

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not entirely. They're mixed. Greeks were whiter in the past. Modern Greeks are the result of Turkic groups conquering and occupying Greece for a long time. The same is true for the people of Turkey which used to be a whiter region (Lydia and Anatolia). 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You don't know Kazantzakis or Papadimitriou? 

If you have not read about modern Greek history then you know nothing about Greece 

Greeks are ofcourse the same as ancient Greeks 

Proud offsprings of their ancestors 

Source(s): What special things Portugal gave to this world? Aren't Portuguese feisty for killing native Americans?
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Eastern oliveskins...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

How can the be? Any and all ancient Greeks are long dead, hence the word "ancient." I am not my dead great grandfather. Are you yours?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.