L asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Does national guard rank transfer to active duty?

For example, if you were a staff sergeant in the National Guard and were called up for active duty, would you still retain your rank in the regular army?

I'm just wanting to know because I am writing a fictional novel about WW2. My main character in the novel is a soldier who had joined the 34th Infantry (National Guard) in 1933 and reached the rank of staff sergeant before the outbreak of the war. Since the 34th was federalized on 10 February 1941, would my character's rank be retained in the regular army or would he half to work his way back up through the ranks?

Favorite Answer

It's complicated, but in your specific instance of a NG SSgt federalized in 1941, he'd be an NG SSgt on active duty from that point. He wouldn't ever be in the "Regular Army" unless something out of the ordinary happened, he'd still be a NG on active duty. If he survived, he'd be demobilized on 3 November 1945.

• ?

He would still be a staff Sgt