Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

L asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Does national guard rank transfer to active duty?

For example, if you were a staff sergeant in the National Guard and were called up for active duty, would you still retain your rank in the regular army?

I'm just wanting to know because I am writing a fictional novel about WW2. My main character in the novel is a soldier who had joined the 34th Infantry (National Guard) in 1933 and reached the rank of staff sergeant before the outbreak of the war. Since the 34th was federalized on 10 February 1941, would my character's rank be retained in the regular army or would he half to work his way back up through the ranks?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It's complicated, but in your specific instance of a NG SSgt federalized in 1941, he'd be an NG SSgt on active duty from that point. He wouldn't ever be in the "Regular Army" unless something out of the ordinary happened, he'd still be a NG on active duty. If he survived, he'd be demobilized on 3 November 1945.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He would still be a staff Sgt 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.