Do you believe in love at first sight?

I didn't, but then when I met my husband I changed my mind. If you do believe in love at first sight, do you think that people who didn't have it are married to the wrong person or just don't really work that way? This probably sounds really stupid.

And just to be clear, it was not lust at first sight with my husband. I obviously think my husband is attractive, but my first thought wasn't about that, it was that I wanted to talk to him and other non-sexual things. 

Favorite Answer

I didn't, but my husband did. He told me (much later) that he knew the moment we met that I was the one to be his wife. It took him a while to convince me but we are now married over 30 years, so I guess he must have known something. Right?

Yes I do if it's the right person

I think it is lust at first sight and then after several years the evil starts showing 

I don't believe in it.  I do believe that it is lust at first sight.  Even non sexual things can still be the hormones talking not the brain.

Love grows over time.  It comes with all those experiences together.  Good and bad.  When you would sooner sacrifice yourself for your partner then you will  understand a part of love.  Imagine letting someone else have him if you thought it was better for the man you love?  Not many can do this.  But that is a sign of love not lust.  You want your PARTNER to be happy rather than just wanting your partner for YOU.

I do hope that it works out well for you.  There is nothing to say it can't.  But if you can look back in 50 or 60 years time then you will understand what I have said now.

• ?

It's not stupid, but it IS very strong attraction. Sometimes people know they will marry a person when they meet them. But falling in real love is a process which takes a lot longer than a second.

take care

no because the things that REALLY matter are things you need to talk and agree on before love should be allowed 

SAD you insist it was not lust at first sight.... well that is a strike against a good long working marriage 

since you did not feel a lust for him on sight ,,, with time that lack of lust will invade the harmony of all rest of the perfect match 

Right. Judge harshly other people because they aren't just like you. The point being? 

Why would you think this sounds stupid?  People have been debating it since men and women were invented!  

I'm one who does not believe in it, meaning people who think they felt it at first sight are lucky more than anything else.  Statistically, some people who claim it happened ARE going to end up married.  So I don't think it proves anything.

I met my husband at an airport baggage terminal with both of us looking for lost bags lol.  I was a wreck, tired and half drunk, and pissed off because it was the 2nd time my luggage disappeared on this trip.  My husband was off to the side, being polite and classy.  He's very good looking and I noticed that right away.  We ended up sharing a cab back and having dinner, and I noticed he was an incredibly good listener.  But I didn't feel anything stronger than that.  Now we've just had our 15th anniversary and marrying him was the best thing I ever did!  But I didn't know for sure I was in love with him until about 10 months in.  And the things I love most took awhile to develop.

I definitely experienced this with my wife. Since we've wanted to get married so badly, we eloped after 4 months. Now, after shortly 7 years of marriage, I have really wanted to give her a proper ceremony and it's been on my mind for years. She says she doesn't care about extravagant displays of affection and the marriage itself is what matters most to her, but as soon as it is safer to do so, we are going to Maui to have our vows renewed on our anniversary. 

I am going to do everything right that I should have the first time, because that is how much I love her. I am going to buy her a ring while we are there and give her a surprise re-proposal on the beach while the sun sets. Then I'll take her to a Luau for a celebration, and we will have our vows renewed before we go home.

I know such marriages where people say they are not "in love" with their spouses but they have a different kind of love for them. I find this incredibly sad. What is the point of love if it isn't passionate or romantic? Just my personal opinion, but love is something that is not meant to be practical. Practicality should be saved for other areas in life such as careers, being responsible with money, etc. Love should be fulfilling and happy.

I sort of believe in it - I believe that you can know you love someone in a very short time - for example - after just one or two dates.  To literally be "love at first sight" is more of a "lust" issue because sight is only the physical appeal of someone.  You can "love" how they look and if you have seen them more than once, maybe you have noticed little traits that you "love".  But to really LOVE someone, you need to know something about them.  This involves having conversations.

So - I do believe that love can happen very quickly, but "first sight" is a little exaggerated because until you have ALSO talked with that person and get to know a little something about them - you don't REALLY know if that love is the kind of love that might last forever.

People who don't feel like they had a "love at first sight" experience aren't necessarily with the "wrong" person.  Their love just needed a little time to grow.

BTW - I met my husband on a blind date.  After the first date, we knew we wanted to spend more time together.  Within 8 weeks we were engaged.  We were married in less than 6 months after our first date.  We celebrate both our wedding anniversary and the anniversary of our first date.  This year is 34 years together.  I would say that both of us already had some level of love for the other one within the first three dates.  We had a very strong connection and very similar life goals and very similar family history and upbringing.  We connected on every level.  But you can't possibly know those things just from "sight".  I do think that our relationship is about as close to "love at first sight" as possible.  

• ?

I'm sure at one point many people did believe in love at first sight, until they got their heart broken and realized it takes more than sight to make a relationship work.